Thursday, December 9, 2010

Insect eating plants

Here is what I was taking a picture of. It's a Darlingtonia Plant. It is a carnivorous plant that grows locally in nutrient-poor soils. They're pretty cool if you like looking at the remains of insects in the bottom of their tubes.

I've been teaching adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators this week. It seems like every day the kids act like they've never seen it before. This is the second week that we've been doing it. The week has been filled with crying, cursing, cussing, stamping of feet, and throwing up hands in despair. The kids haven't liked it either. I guess it's kind of like trying to eat a cow, it doesn't happen overnight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are really amazing. So you had a good reason to climb the mountain! For some reason I always thought these were tropical; I pictured them deep in the amazon. Peter

other said...

So where were these??

Illa