Saturday, May 12, 2007

Paradigm Shift (The Real Thing)


For better or worse, here's proof that the ZAP (Zero Air Pollution) car is in Crescent City. It was delivered last night about 11:00. Sandi and I took it to Safeway this morning. The looks and stares have only begun.

Since I'm not sure what the status of the batteries were, it's hard to gauge its performance. What I can say is that it got up to about 38 mph and there is a definite decrease in acceleration and speed as the the batteries lose their charge. But, it's fun to drive, and yes, it only has three wheels.

At this time, it has the highest rated speed (40 mph) capability of EVs (Electrical Vehicles). There are other makes out there, but they are limited to 25 mph since they do not have the safety features (25 mph crash tests, 5 mph bumper, air bags) that are required in the US, and thus are considered NEVs (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles). Of course this is a 'gas challenged' vehicle but does have the mpg equivalent of 135 mpg. And, as the price of gas goes up and electrical rates remain stable (since it is much more difficult to raise rates) the mpg equivalent goes up.

No, it cannot be used on trips other than around town. No, it cannot go on the freeway. Yes, it does answer many people's needs for commuting since 80% of the miles we drive as a nation are within 25 miles of our home. For optimal battery performance it should be charged up each evening in a standard 110v outlet at a cost of about 2 cents per mile. Also, the ads show it with a solar panel, but the company charges $1,800 for it and I found it online for about $900. So, that is my next acquisition.

I don't like bumperstickers, but I thought of a good one in case I ever do relinquish and put one on. 'When I grow up I want to be a Tesla.' The Tesla is the all electric sports car coming out designed by Lotus that is capable of doing 160 mph, 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds, and with a range of 200+ miles. Of course it has a cost of $92,000. I know, this ZAP will have to do a lot of growing to do, but, it's a start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok I tried to post on your blog. but to no avail. For some reaason it said, Chuck who?
anywho.
glad you finally got it. I wonder what it would take to make a crawler out of it:)
I think the bumper sticker for it would be cool.
I want a Tesla too, but at 92k.
post pics of the interior. it would be intersting

Peter said...

Really like the blue! Much better than the white. Can't wait for you to apply some graphics for it advertising Dallas Sign Company!