Friday, October 29, 2010

Psychology = gene therapy

Why doesn’t 23andMe show results for the liberal gene? It's been in the news for a few days now, that there is a "Liberal" gene. Maybe because they are afraid of loosing conservative support. I think I have a mixed up gene; some things I’m liberal, some I’m conservative. This is one of the oddest genes I’ve heard of! But as we have already shared, just because you have the gene, doesn’t mean it’s ‘turned on’, or working. Like the “stupid” gene, which I have; it obviously is not applicable with me........right.....?

Well, it doesn’t matter whether if you agree, I think I remember mom telling me that I was the only one of her sons she breast fed. She probably knew I’d need some help with my IQ.

This gene stuff is really interesting; but even with my higher IQ (from breast feeding), it’s hard to understand how it all works. I had to get Randy to help me understand a few things. It would be nice if the Garcia girls submitted gene samples with 23andMe; I think it results would be really interesting to follow.

I told Randy, that while Jim is more interested in the health side of gene study, and Randy in genealogy; I am more interested in ‘what makes us think’. Which, brings me back to the first paragraph above; that it appears ‘communication does not appear to be the only factor in how we think, interesting! Thots?

3 comments:

Dick said...

Well personally i think it's a bunch of bull-rubbish. i believe that there are genes that form us in the way we communicate, predisposition's to certain physiological and pshycholocical traits. (even spelling). but somewhere we have to take responsibility in our own thoughts and actions. we cant blame it on mom or dad. or great great great whatever.
I think that is part of the problem with these kind of "findings". it makes us less responsible for our own actions.
...for instance. i stuck my hand in the fire and it got burned. my parent had a gene that cause them to invent fire. so its there fault. no accountability for ones own actions.
its called the stupidity gene.
as far as our choice on which party we tend to vote on. it shouldnt be a party issue. it should be a "who can do a better job at challenges that face them".

Jim said...

Peter,
There are new findings coming out quite often from 23andMe. Perhaps soon there will be a new gene found for the liberal gene. I've not seen it in the news lately, but I would be interested in reading about it.

I'm glad to hear that you're not just a pure liberal or a pure conservative. I like to think that most people, especially any relative of mine, have a mix of views that may not fit totally into one party. To me that means that people think independently and not, like lemmings, just follow their party ideology.

I hope too that the girls will submit gene samples with 23andMe. At least it would give us something to compare to.
Jim

Peter said...

Yeah, we definitely have to take responsibility for choices etc., the scripture says plenty about that. But what of the reality of special cases of individuals who seem to have an uphill battle all the way? Depression to name one. Definitely, some are more prone to habits/addictions, alcoholism. While others seem to cruise through life. This, not to say that God's grace can't cover these, it does. We can be 'more than overcomers'. But until the poor souls find grace, and take advantage of it, it can be very hard for them. One of the saddest situations I've heard of, are some of the cases of kids adopted from Eastern block countries. Many have some huge issues, which perhaps cannot be accounted for by nurture. I'm thinking that there must be many factors. Not just prenatal drugs, or nutrition while in the womb, but also some previous behaviors that triggered genetic problems.