Sunday, March 11, 2007

Carpe diem

Glenda gets the 'carpe diem' award for the day. She called me today and said that she was standing at the top of a cliff that overlooks the Golden Gate Bridge. While it sounded somewhat neat, I told her not to jump. Actually, she was at a great moment in her life and she was wanting to spread the joy and I feel honored that she called me. Kind of like getting ready to jump out of an airplane and calling someone to try to explain why a person would jump out of a perfectly good airplane to feel the sensation of falling. It doesn't make sense, but that is the type of thing that people do when they want to share the 'joy.' Anyway, carpe diem to her. I had just stepped into the house from getting wood and mowing the yard. Was I a slightly bit envious? No, I was a lot envious. But, I need to do what I was doing and she did what she felt the need to do. More power to her. I'm tired and happy, she's tired and happy. Who's better off? We both are because we were able to do what we needed to do.
Jim
P.S. She didn't jump.

1 comment:

Peter said...

I once read an article about fun; can't remember the entire point, but basically said that while one person's 'fun' wasn't necessarily another's. Some say 'skiing in the Alps' is fun. Me, I say teasing my little sisters (I'm considering size here) is fun. I have little desire to travel, I think it's because I think, "it's just different dirt". Or, "these people are just as rotten as I am, they just speak funny". So, I talk myself out of the fun and imagination that somehow this experience has significance. Actually, I hate thinking so much, I wish I were more like that fellow that large oaf that strokes the kitten and says, 'duh, nice, soft kitty, nice soft kitty'. He finds fun in the simplest things. I guess that's why I'm such a party pooper. However, I have been caught with a stupid look on my face, in a daze, watching my grandchildren play. Now that's fun!