Sunday, April 1, 2007

Computers are complicated

For some of us computers are not complicated. They're not for me, but only because I've been working them since 1994. At first they were a totally new world. It was like moving to an entirely new culture and learning a new langueage. At the time I was frustrated at what things I find simple now.

Anyway. Ben, Illa, Glenda, Lydia all are trying, or going to try Apple computers. All because they believe the benefits of learning new things will outweigh the frustration with learning a new operating system.

Dick has been the main evangelist for Macs. He has done a good job in communicating the ease of use of a Mac. The problem however, he is not there to school his converts in this new 'language'. Glenda does have Teisha, who is also an Apple user.

Ben keeps trying to do different things, common things he was able to do on the PC, but has to relearn how to do it. Fortunately for him, he is not alone in his conversion, he has Illa, who also has a new Apple, and we all agree is ten times smarter than Ben, so he will do well.

What I've discovered about computers, and what I like about them, they are a wonderful way to communicate (I think Jim agrees with this). But what I've also discovered, is computers don't make you a better communicator, they are only an aid. They only facilitate what priorities or desires that you have already established. For instance, Hobo's have free access to library computers, but most still don't email their families! (I know, silly example)

Following my silly example: Why don't hobo's email then? It's not because they don't have the time. Nor is it because they don't have the talent! Because they have lot's of time to learn, they can develop the talent. It's because, at this point in their lives, either they don't see the value, or their heads are too jumbled to want to learn a new skill, or they just need to develop the sense that others find their input in their lives as important. So, if any Hobo's are reading this, WRITE YOUR MOTHERS! Peter

5 comments:

other said...

I would be one of the "us' you would be referring too. I too started in about that era with my sign computer (it still sits in the two-car, but I pretty much used in for just that purpose...cutting vinyl. It did what I wanted it to, but I was resistant to do any more with it. I let our kids forcefully lead us into getting and using computers. You may not believe it, but I probably was somewhat resistant to getting a home computer. No, no me, it must have been someone else. But, I remember that we did pay $3,500 for someone to "build" us our first home computer. In fact, Sandi had the money taken out of her check at school to finance our first home computer.
We never did have a Macintosh even though Randy is sold on them and is trying to encourage us to switch. I see a pattern here: Dick, Teisha, Randy. The common thread: they're all younger than us. Hmmm, maybe it's time for old dog(s) to learn to new tricks. On second thought, naaaa...I'm having enough problems trying to learn old tricks. I just set up my classroom with a laptop and LCD. I figured out all the wiring and connections myself. Yes, that would be me thumping myself on the chest!!
By the way, Peter, that's a great analogy with hobos. I wish I could take you up on your advice.

other said...

After the first sentence in my above comment I wanted to add, 'but I different than you, do find them complicated.'

Anonymous said...

I talked to Ben and Illa last night; seems they have been reading the family blog, but because the are still getting the hang of Apple, their not finding the mental energy to get this blog thing going. Dick, the apple evangelist, like one of those traveling preachers who convert people and then just leave them to the wolves, probably should go down there and give BnI some lessons! Let's just hope Dick doesn't go on TV with his message, there'd be a lot of frustrated mac users! Peter

other said...

I dont consider myself an evangilist, although evangelest do present you with an idea or a product and then its up to you what you do with it. I just like to use the computer and not have to worry about having to install patches everytime i turn around. or getting the blue screen of death, or being concerned with viruses.
i have had my laptop for almost a year now and not a single virus or worm or maggott or what ever you PCers call them now.
later

other said...

you are so kind. Illa is twenty times smarted than me !!