Saturday, July 18, 2009

Our camping outing








I have had Liz and Sam for the last week. We didn't get much done but we did go camping at Dan Ryan Place. One of Ben's and my local areas. We tried fishing to no avail. Good thing we brought food as we would have starved. We did have a couple of nice campfires as we were only out 2 nights. Here are a couple of pics. I have also had Merlin and Athena this weekend as Teresa had a wedding to perform. Too hot to really let them play outside until late in the day when it gets cooler.

We got the swamp cooler installed today and running. YEAH!!!! It has been 97+ for at least the last 4 days here. Got stung by a wasp on the left hand in the process but i got revenge against the little bugger. I took out it's whole nest as well as some others that I was going to wait for night fall to get. The back of my hand is all swollen and hurts like heck. thank heavens my body is pumped full of antihistimines for allergies all the time otherwise it would be lots worse as I am allergic to bees. The hand has gone down some this am which is good as I have to work at the store. Still hurts but at least I can move the fingers.

Not moving very fast on the room due to family and the heat. Here is a pic of where I am at. Took these before BJ and the Girls all helped me place the beams for the roof support. It is coming, just seems slow.

BJ said they lost the air conditioning in his store last week and can't be fixed before Monday so it has been as hot in the store as outside. They have been hitting close to 100 in Mc Cloud also. Redding has been close to 115 I hear. Glad that I don't have to go there for awhile yet. Will do most of my shopping in Klamath when I have to go which will have to be in about a week again.
Love to all. Illa

8 comments:

Ben Garcia said...

right on, looks like yall havein a good time huh, im glad :)

Peter said...

Lookin good Illa, butI think your taking it easy like that guy in the picture below. What kind of roof line and roof are you putting on that?

About your fishing trip, I suppose you've heard, that's why they call it fish'n, and not catch'n.

ILLA said...

The roof pitch is a drop of 1 foot in 12. It will slide right under the other eave as I don't know the exact construction of the house. I also don't want to connect to the house as then I would have to get a permit. I plan to put on a tin roof to help in the moving of the snow load. The front will also be a 1 in 12 drop but it will but up against the roof. I will have to put tin flashing under the roofing material to connect and close the drip gap but the roof over the front is only going to be 8 foot out from the house. Just enough to provide some cover over the doors so that the rain and snow, or majority of it anyway, wont be pushed under the doors in the high winds. That is the thought anyway.

Illa

Illa said...

The front will have composite shingles. I will have to get some more. There was enough left from the house to do about 3' X 9' and then I picked some up at a yard sale for free to do an additional 3' X 12' so just about 1/2 will still need roofing material. Maybe I will luck out and find some more at a yard sale. The price was good, haul it away for free, and it matches what is already there. The siding on the room will be just chip board this year. Next year I will put on some house wrap and good siding and even maybe insulate it.

Peter said...

Good plan. Just a thought, one thing you could do too, is drops those studs to 6'6", on the yard side of the addition; it'll let that snow slide a bit easier. Unless you have a 'standing seam' metal roof, even screws will eventually work up allowing the roof to leak - especially true with 1/12 pitch.

Jim said...

Sounds like that you're doing the grandmother thing, and doing it very well.

Those bee stings can be pretty painful, but the bee got the worse of it. I generally get stung a few times while I'm trying to avenge for the first time. The last time I almost burned the neighbors property down but I was the victor in the end.

Excuse me, but I have to get back to doing what I was doing in the picture that Dick posted. I had a prostate biopsy last week and my back has been hurting so all I've been doing is holding the boards down on the deck. Oops, there almost went another one.
Jim

Dick said...

they do have big ratz over there, dont they? and how did you get it to sit in your lap? just kidding illa. hes cute.
looks like your having fun with the g-kids. ya i do alot of fishing too. catching not so much. ive been once since iv been here. Jim took me out in front of pebble beach in the kayaks. left some tackle. got wet coming back to shore. but it was all good.

other said...

I figured that we would at least catch some blue gill or perch but neither. Saw a bunch of little fishies tho.

Just lost the swamp cooler motor. burnt and shorted out. Lots of smoke and yelling kids. Thank God i was here. Sucks. I expected the bearings on the fan wheel. Oh well, we did get good use out of it. 23+ years. Only replaced the pump motor 2 times.

Guess I shouldn't complain of things as it makes things happen. Still have one chicken left. Started with 4. something keeps getting them. So have it in a smaller pen waiting to get a regular chicken house sort of.

Still hot here. Too hot to do anything. Love to all.

Illa