Sunday, July 12, 2009

We're back!!!

We've really not had too much internet access on our trip as we 'tented' it most of the time. First, "Happy Birthday," to everyone's birthday I missed, past, present, and future. Since there have been so many birthdays this year I've decided to skip mine and put my age in a holding pattern.

One of the interesting places that we stopped was where Ben Garica was born in Abiquiu, New Mexico. I've written a little about it in my blog so I won't forget. Click on the title above to read more. As I talk to Randy and do some internet research I'll add more.
Randy has had an interest in our family genealogy and has traced back the Garcia line to this aged town. He has traced it back through Catholic Church records that show Ben was born here. The records show that his parents like many of the people that populated the area were a mix of Mexicans of Spanish descent as well as the Native American tribes, the Apache and the Navajo. I believe that exact confirmation would only be established through a DNA test. Our first stop was at the ruins of a church by the name of La Santa Rosa DeLima. We couldn’t stop next to it so we parked the car and walked back. I’ll do a little internet research and fill in the blanks.

We stopped at the grocery store to buy some soft drinks and asked the directions to the local parish. The most recent parish, the one presently in use is called St. Thomas Apostle Parish. We were directed across the street and up the hill. Just above the road and behind some bushes an old part of the town opened up and of course was a place for tourist information. I knocked at the door and an older distinguished looking gentleman opened the door. He introduced himself as Napolean Garcia. He had lived in a Abiquiu his entire life, as his forefathers had. He was about 74 years old. We showed Randy what we had found and what he already knew about the geneology he believes that this person may very have been our great-uncle. Small world.


He gave us a little history on the area: It was established on the site of an old Indian pueblo in the mid-18th century. It became a settlement of Spaniards and Genizaros (Hispanicized Indians). In 1776, explorers Fray Francisco, Ataancio Dominguez, and Silvestre Velez de Escalante visited here. In 1839 the settlement became one of the stops
on the Spanish Trail that linked Sante Fe with Los Angeles, California..

Also, he showed us a book that he had that listed the first settlers in the area. There were a few Garicas in the mix. I took pictures of the book.

It was easy to see what had attracted different groups of people to the area; it was an oasis in an otherwise very dry land. When you follow Rio Chama it is lush and green. Being in the river bottom there were ample opportunities to grow the produce that was needed. I would imagine any excess could be sold or traded to people traveling through the area.

I can’t say as I felt a connection with the area, but I did understand more the hardships that our ancestors had gone through and why Ben’s parents may have wanted to move.
Jim

5 comments:

Peter said...

Welcome back JnS. Sounds like you had a great time.

Ben Garcia said...

wow, thats kewl, wb guys :D

Lili said...

I found out Lisi and I were in 2 hospitals, and at the church, Rose Cath. Parish, in SF, also I had 2 blood transfusions, and my uncle was one that gave me blood.

Jess and I wish to go to the hospital and get the records, as I have the name we were born with and find out who the uncle was that gave me the blood, but Jess and I have not been able to do so, as we were down at SF, for Jess' sister and brother-in-law, for there 50th....

We plan on going back to the church and look up the old record with those that were there when we were sprinkled. The Parish is now closed, but I did find out this information and how to aquire the needed information.

Lili

Ben Garcia said...

o btw lol, goin to a hotel or motel that doenst have wireless internet doenst count as tenting it :-P, lol coudnt resisit

Bonnie said...

Wow what a great trip. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like your have lots of fun stuff to share with your kids when school starts.

Rick went to a interview this morning for a custodial job at the schools here and I am very hopful about getting a school bus job. that and the things going on with our church and a chance to be involved with different outreaches, it feels like God is dealing with our lives in a very direct way. Our church is buying 48 ac. and I have a opportunity to get involved with unwed mothers, street kids and so many ministries they are buying "The Ranch", for. This is what you have wanted for years now Lili and we have a terrific chance to be a part of something really awesome. All of a sudden it just seems God is telling us to stay put for now. Rick has a chance to join the choir and worship group at our church. Gods timing is always right on so we just can't ignore the doors that are opening for us. God doesn't always give us what we want but He does give us what we need.