Sunday, July 22, 2007

Health

I’m really not sure where to begin other than to say, there are many of us to keep in our thoughts and prayers. All too often I take what I have for granted and do not recognize how fleeting it can be and how important it is. It really is true; if one does not have their health, they have nothing at all. Suddenly, my very existence and purpose is caught up in simply taking care of health needs. I say this because of those in our family that are dealing with different health issues. After reading our blog I decided to take the health checkup results that I had taken in May to my doctor to interpret for me. While everything was pretty close to where I was supposed to be, I still wanted to hear it from the doctor to allay any fears that I may have. I was especially concerned with when my next colonoscopy was scheduled to be as this seems to be something that concerns all of us. My next exam isn’t to be until summer of ’08, but it is something that I want to keep up to date. Hey, if President Bush can hand the reins over to VP Cheney for 2 hours, that’s a sign of how important it really is.

Things can change so fast. Last Thursday Sandi and I were coming back from Brookings and we happened on an accident that had just occurred. We were the third car on the scene. The lady was out of her car sitting by the side of the road with blood dripping down her face and arm. One lady was calling the accident in to the police, another lady was consoling her. We too asked her what we could do. She simply replied, “Don’t leave me.” She wanted and needed someone there to make her feel as if she mattered and to know that she wasn’t alone. We stayed with her giving her that feeling of security and a human touch. Another man stopped with a First-Aid kit and we wiped the blood off her face and hand, bandaged her hand up and gave her something to drink. There wasn’t really much we could do except to be there for her, and for her to know that we were there for her. She called yesterday and thanked us for what we had done. It would have been so easy to drive on by and rationalize it by saying; someone else will deal with it. But, what happens when I would find myself in the same position? What would I want?

I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers even though realistically there really isn’t much I can do other than that, but is probably the most powerful thing I can do.

Carpe diem,
Jim

3 comments:

Peter said...

Amen brother! Since Karen got a cracked back a week ago Friday, we've had many come beside us and help us, even with things I don't count as priorities (but my wife does) like plant life. We live in a virtual jungle here and the native plants need no encouragement to grow. For some reason women like things that need watering constantly, so we've had offers even for help with that! Thankfully we are surrounded by Karen's family including two sisters who also (irrationally)love plants, they help quite a bit. And yes, I've taken my turn at watering as well. As for my blood relatives, I've had offers there too. And I know that if I called for help, even for things that really matter, time allowing, many would come. This gives us a wonderful feeling of connection and appreciation for what we have. I've always said, 'old age is a blessing'. I sincerely believe the young can't appreciate what old people (hopefully) learn from long experience, that maintenance of family is more important than maintenance of toys, or pursuit of 'fun'. I am no exception from this rule. If I had it to do all over again, I'd surf fewer waves and spend more time with my soon to die mom. But alas, such is the trappings of life and only a few escape it. By the way, I am halfway teasing about plants, I actually like looking at them! But what I've discovered is we can't underestimate God's love for all of life. Even those things that are not a priority for those of us who have smaller minds. I believe he loves it when we pray for one another, even if it's a cold. His love is better than a dotting mom, and he is never too busy to hear our concern for one another.Jim is right, and I believe God reaches down to comfort through the arms of those who can see little hurts as well as big. Good job Jim and Sandi, thanks for being there when God needed you. Let's all learn from this example; especially me!

other said...

One of the things that is so important to my relationship to God is obediance.
I think that this reunion is probly the most important to me. because of mine and Bonnies reelationship in the past and now our healing that God wants to take place for both of us.
some times the small voice we hear inside of us gets interupted with the Loud commotion that takes place outside of us and we pass it on as out own thoughts. And miss an oppertunity that will allow us to grow as both people and as His children. "HuH the comfort zone thing".
To me thats the voice that has to be heard the more, that little voice that says "stop, and offer comfort or a prayer.
I know with my situation its been hard, because im very stubbron and have a problem asking help from people. Even when they offer it. But thats something i have to deal with.

jim- thats all that is necessary is your prayers. And your right there isnt anything more you can do.
what you did for that lady is alot more than others did for her. Doing good isnt always the best. but its what is in our hearts and then doing what our heart is telling us. that is the obediance of a realationship with God and our fellow man.

Dick

other said...

I never quite looked at it that way. Illa and I have been in quite a few situations ,including the deaths on the road. I did know we had been put there at that time though. Ben God is Good !!