Saturday, November 17, 2007

Family

Face it we are older than dirt, did we want to connect with out parents. They complained about the same thing. We never appreciate what we have until it is gone. After all we are just starting to get to know eachother. I can't believe my sister inlaws have accepted me after all the years I have kept away. These kids have no idea what they mean to us, they are the extention of all of us They have a opportunity of closeness we never appreciated. I only hope when we are all gone they never forget the lesson we have learned. Family means everything.

The time you spend with family means everything:


Lueria sent a, "I LOVE YOU," on my email, she has no idea what those three words means to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoever this was, your absolutely right, every generation is the same. "If man has learned anything from history, its that man hasn't learned anything from history". As far as offenders go, I have been the worst. When I was a kid, I'd show up on mom's doorstep to borrow twenty bucks, then disappear. Sometimes I'd remember her birthday, but most often I'd be too busy catching the next wave.

As for my own two boys, just as Jim pointed out, they are busy busy busy. Fortunately we have a good relationship and I'm always able to give them a hard time. This works pretty good: "if you don't come see me, we're going to buy the house next door to you"

JnS seem to have the doctorate in the right technique. As much as I can gather, besides the things the boys initiate, they schedule quality times with their boys - like the trip to Alaska. Let's face it, it doesn't help to just sit back and brood, it takes work from both generations to make bridges; and with time these bridges get stronger and stronger.

Sandi Hooper said...

Thanks for the kinds words, Peter and who ever the "other" is. I am only one sister-in-law, but I can tell you, I've always felt a bond with you all. I spent my entire adult life looking at the photos of you all at my wedding!!! I never got over the fact that so many of you all came to that. My own father didn't come to my wedding.

As to raising our kids, yeah, we do insist that they do things with us, and we've raised them to be sentimental about family stuff, but from what I see at the reunion, all of your kids get that too. After all, you've been able to get your kids to COME to the reunion!!!

We've all got great kids. All of us. I can only say that we'll have to really wow them at the reunions to keep 'em coming, and keep writing them without any expectations. That's the best parenting: unconditional love with consistency that borders on the ridiculously boring... The kids need to know that no matter what happens, we're going to always be meeting, talking, posting, loving.

Bank on it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, my special family.

Anonymous said...

Sandi !! You have ALWAYS been more than "only a sister-in-law" !!