Saturday, November 24, 2007

What I am thankful for II

This five-day break was a stellar experience!! So much has changed in my life, but so much of it feels right. I do not relish the fact that our boys have grown and are are now making their own way, sans any direction from us, but rather the peace that I feel from it. They are no longer boys, but the young men that we have groomed them to be. Hopefully, they will remember the good of their upbringing and forget the negative. I say this because of what Sandi and I have experienced this break. This is the first Thanksgiving that we have spent together, just the two of us. It was GREAT, but in a different way than what has gone on before. Before has always been centered around the 'guys.' Now, it has been centered around us, just the two of us. A surreal experience to say the least.

First, on Thanksgiving day we found ourselves at the beach grilling prawns wrapped in foil and seasoned with Old Bay, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and white wine over a beach fire. Not bad..........(actually, Damn Good).

Friday, we all went fishing together on the Smith..... in three different cars. The fishing was full of luck, it was the catching that was lacking. The Smith was its usual summertime self, devoid of fish, but full of memories. For me, the older that I get, it's not so much the success or failure of an experience, but rather, the feeling of the experience. Then, later in the afternoon Sandi and I took a walk down South Beach and came back with a crab pot on a beautiful sunny afternoon.

Saturday we took a hike to a place that I've wanted to take her for quite a few years. High Dome is a meadow in an otherwise forested area that is a magical place because it is so out-of-place. Andrew and I had gone there about 2 years ago and I've wanted to go back ever since. The harbingers of winter are in the air and visible as snow on the distant mountains, but a distant memory as it was clear and warm. We even re-found a Geocaching cache that Andrew and I have found before at High Dome.

Just so you know, my inspiration, motivation, aspiration, and every other -tion, I can or can't think of, comes from my wife. Do avail yourself to her blog at: http://sandihooper.blogspot.com/

Jim

2 comments:

Sandi Hooper said...

Just so you know, some of those other "-tions" include: exasperation, frustration and conniption! Don't ask Jim which shuns he's referring to on bill paying day!

kissies.

To avoid more of the "get a room" brand of comments from Dick, I'll just say that I like Jim an awful lot too.

Peter said...

Did you ever notice, Dick looks a lot like Cupid?