Sunday, November 18, 2007

'Shroom expert???



In a way I kind of hate to ask this question, but do we have a resident mushroom identification expert in the family? Now, I don't want someone who is only well-versed in identifying only one particular kind. I want someone who I can take out into the woods and basically tell me which ones I can eat, but more important, which ones will kill me. As I understand it, most mushrooms won't hurt you even if they don't taste good. Many will make you wish you died, but only a few will actually kill you. It's the latter two types that I'd just as soon avoid.

I went up to the river today to go fishing, but it was too high, so I just took a walk looking at, and, for mushrooms. Around here, it's mushroom season, but I don't feel comfortable bringing some home that would, well, kill me. I do like cooked mushrooms. For that matter, I like the white ones that you buy in the stores just fresh and uncooked with just a little garlic pepper and salt. Excuse me, I have to go raid the 'fridge and see if we have any...............................nope, but I did add it to the shopping list.

In our household I don't go shopping. Sandi says I bring home too many things with names that I can't pronounce, or her either. That's kind of a rule around here, if it can't be pronounced or it's written in an alphabet that is not familiar, it isn't eaten. But, since I'm more of a visual person, I all too often just look at the pictures and say to myself, "hmmm... I don't know what it is, but I'm sure Sandi can make something really good out of this." I can only buy three things, and that suits me just fine. Sandi is a GREAT cook. I can only buy steaks when I grill, dog food, and beer. So, as you can see my shopping lists are generally pretty short. Anyway, I'm waiting to hear.......

Jim

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jim; I'm fascinated by mushrooms. I once did a remodel for some folk on the Coast who were really into them. I let my fascination wane when I found there are thousands of varieties, with many of the risky ones looking much like the safe ones. They told me there are some 'you shouldn't even touch'. Just as a side note; I also built a deck for a United Airlines pilot; while I was working I noticed some collage kids walking through the pilots fields, slowly with their heads down as if they were praying. I asked the pilot, 'what's going on?' He said, 'they're looking for psychedelic mushrooms, whatever they find, they split with me'. He then opened his refrig and it was full the them!

Anonymous said...

With that huge back yard you need to buy yourself one of those pigs that you can use to hunt for Truffels. The photo is beautiful but I don't want a bite, thank you!!

Jim said...

Peter,
Thanks for the reassuring words. I'll remember them next time I fly.
Jim

Peter said...

YOU FLY!!!!!!!!

Jim said...

Yes, but I'll do it without the 'shrooms. Hopefully, the pilot will too.
Jim