Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Low news day or how not to make clam 'chowdah.'



Think about it, in most areas other than CC most families have higher utility bills in the hotter months than in the cooler months. Brownouts happen much more often in the summer than the winter. Why? Well, most people have to be concerned with cooling a house off using their AC (except for CC). If people were to install a solar panel that could put out enough power to run their AC during the times it's really needed they could save money. Granted, this is only a small solar panel only able to run a smaller fan, but I think there's merit in testing it on a larger scale. Did I mention this and the Pacific Ocean are our only air conditioners?

We had some steamed clams last week that I had gathered with a neighbor of ours. I saved a few so I could make some chowder. I looked up a recipe on the internet and found out that we didn't quite have all the ingredients. In fact, all I had were the clams, potatoes, and black pepper. I went ahead and made it, but it didn't quite look like the picture or taste like chowder is supposed to taste. Lesson learned? Make sure you have all the ingredients prior to making 'chowdah.'

Jim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right, solar and wind power need to be used more and I think could cut a LOT off the bills. Just to bad it costs so much to get it installed !!
Now there would be a GREAT savings to the nation, if our houses had solar cooling, plus just heating the water !!

Peter said...

that's cool

Sandi Hooper said...

I'm down with the wind power, but I don't think we get enough sunshine in Cres City to make solar power feasible... I'm sure that if we do get enough sun though, you'll let the world know about it, 'cuz that's what you do, pet.

hugs.