Sunday, June 1, 2008

Why your going to make it............

What to do about fuel prices and your life:

1. Add up your real costs of eating expensive pastries, cookies, lattes and espressos, cigarettes, alcohol, pop and potato chip type stuff. Got an amount? OK, on to next.

2. Go to your refrigerator, you were going to clean it out today anyway -right? Now throw away anything that is not fit for human consumption. It got old because you keep eating all that junk food above. Add up the costs of your wasted items.
Side note here; real food cost more money than junk food, however, if you eat real food you'll become healthier, and feel better, and probably spend less on meds, quack diets, quack remedies; quack exercise equipment, quack doctors. Overall there is a net savings.

3. Add up the cost of your toys. Adults are just like kids; the difference is, adults don't have anyone to say "no". I just bought a GPS, I seldom use it. I could've gotten by without it. Take an honest look at your toys, if you haven't used it is several months, or it's just a more expensive one than you actually need, figure the difference and come up with a real figure.

4. Hair, nails, clothes; sorry girls, your much more guilty of this than us guys, who're generally slobs. Develop inner beauty, which is much better anyway, and more enduring than outer beauty; this'll save you lots of money. Both sexes can save money with deleting appointments for massage, tattoos, piercings, salons and barbers, gyms. Add the savings in your column.

5. Finally, a reality check. When I started driving, gas was 25cents a gallon (yes, I'm old). Before taxes I made $1.25 and hours. My wages were then five times what a gallon of gas cost! For the moment, fuel is at $5.00 a gallon. Five times $5.00 is $25.00. I still make more money than that, so I figure I'm ahead. This formula works for all dispensations.

We really shouldn't complain about fuel prices, except for Venezuela and a few Arab and Persian countries, ours are still lower than most. With a lot of Americans, the real complaint is this is changing our luxurious life style. Most are only having to sacrifice toys and non-essentials; but the reality, this isn't a sacrifice. I don't think the word actually applies.

I should say, there are many who are deeply affected by rising fuel costs. For instance, people who have no other option for their commute. There are many of these.

OK, got all your figures in the column added up? Apply those saving to your fuel budget, see, you can now afford to make it to the reunion!

One last note: On average, I get 18mpg. Let's say last years fuel cost me $2.50 per gallon. If I had to drive 1200 miles to the reunion round trip, last years cost would have been $170. Now it's doubled. So, that $340 for fuel. $170, I spend more on donuts than that! I gotta tell you, your more important to me than donuts.

11 comments:

Jim said...

1. How about if I buy the inexpensive pastries, cookies, lattes and espressos, cigarettes, alcohol, pop and potato chip type stuff? Net savings right, right? That way when I want to splurge and buy the good stuff I can really appreciate it, instead of having it as the norm. See, we’re all happy.

2. Who’ll support the quacks?

3. Yard sale after the reunion at Hooper’s house. Great deals for relatives… and anyone that want to claim being a relative.

4. “us guys, who're generally slobs.” Speak for yourself, I tend to think of it as a different way of dressing. “Both sexes can save money with deleting appointments for massage, tattoos, piercings, salons and barbers, gyms.” Does this mean I need to cancel my appointment to get my toe tattooed, and I need to take my pinky toe ring back to the pawn shop? It’s a good thing you didn’t throw in that purple hair dye I love so much.

5. As an added note, think of fuel costs not in terms of MPG, but rather in light of the true cost of true cost of driving, cents per mile. Of course, due to the daily increase in fuel cost and cost of efficiency of different vehicle there is a vast difference.

(cost per gallon) divided by (miles per gallon) equal (cost per mile).

Sorry to hear of your donut tab going up, but WOW, I’m relieved to hear that I’m more important to you than even a raised glazed. Even a fresh one????

Jim

Peter said...

Oops, sorry Jim, I was talking about Sandi and donuts!

Anonymous said...

So are you saying we all should stay home and eat day old donuts that are always cheaper ?!! Besides, I don't cut my hair so that saves me money for the gas for the car and the electric bill for the barber, plus his water bill and the air conditioning cost when I don't open the door, AND his trash bill for throwing out the hair !!
I think I am saving more money that Peter !!

Jim said...

And you're living a healthier lifestyle than Peter, besides being environmentaly conscious.
Jim

Sandi Hooper said...

Hey, Peter I love you more than donuts too. I think you're all going to make it to the reunion because it's more important than money or time or hardship. If our economy totally collapses that weekend, and the apocalypse really begins in earnest, who would you rather be with than your own family??? And camping on the Rogue would be a good place to be in that situation too. Plenty of people in Southern Oregon have doomsday stashes of food supplies! Probably even stock piles of freeze dried donuts! Dick could bring his guns, Ben could scare people and the rest of us could grab the donuts and take 'em back to our compound!!!

Hey, between the entire family, you guys can have it all! Donuts and family time.

Think about it. It's just the right thing to do...

Anonymous said...

Peter !! I forgot to ask you, why do you pay $170.00 for donuts ?!! I will send you some for HALF that cost.

Peter said...

I think my yearly budget for donuts is about $200. A while back I found a box of store bought I'd forgotten under the seat of my truck. They were powdered and had been there for about four weeks, they looked fine! I was severely tempted to eat one; but being the self controlled person I am, I threw them away. Unlike wine Connoisseurs, donut Connoisseurs love all donuts. Let's just hope the twins and Jess bring those big rolls again!

Anonymous said...

i wish my coffee budget was that low. i dont even want to think about what it is per month. but, since i only drive about 5 mon to work, that that offsets the cost of my starbucks habit,
im sure that since its around the time of glendas birthday that they will think of an excuse to bring cinnamon rolls.
Dick

Jim said...

Wait a minute, we don't have a compound, and, if Peter threw out those powdered donuts that he found under the seat of his pickup we don't even have those. We're in trouble.
Jim

Sandi Hooper said...

If you come to the reunion, I'll tell you my powdered donut story and buy you a coffee. How's that for a deal???

Peter said...

Your on!