Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Something Old Yet New ?!!

Since it is so quiet I will add this. I finally made a fire call this monday with my new "job". Illa called me on the phone while she was coming home and said I should get ready for a dispatch sine she could see black smoke north of the valley. I didn't hear a dispatch but headed to the fire station to wait for one and met up with the fire engine heading out code 3, so I followed it. We ended up in the Town north of us and suited up as we watched the trees crowning with flames shooting up around 30 or 40 feet. One structure was engulfed and the surrounding area of trees was on fire with 3 or so houses in line with the fire because of the wind directions. We threw out two hoses and took the head of the fire and worked it for close to five hours and kept the fire from destroying and more structures.
Very hot and tiring and yet thrilling at the same time. I have been on so many fires over the years I can't remember a third of them. Yet, this was different because with the old job we usually arrived hours if not days after they had started Here, we are an initial response unit and the first or part of the first to arrive. Hard to explain how it feels to lay the hose and turn on the nozzle and beat back the power of the fire as it tries to beat you back.
I saw a couple of the "old" crew I worked with and they both where shocked to see me in a different uniform but still working fires ! lol
see? older men can ride bikes and fight fires even !!

5 comments:

Jim said...

Ben,
It sounds like you have water hose running through your veins. There must be a real endorphin rush while out on a fire. Ever have trouble going to sleep after coming back from a fire?
Jim

Peter said...

Well, I'm impressed! Fighting fires is really hard work (especially for old men). So, is your hair curly now? Don't get so close you get a perm.

Anonymous said...

bens not old!!!!!! Old is 70+. And as far as I know none of us have reach that milemarker.
Sounds like you had a good time Ben.

other said...

wow, thanks for the update. I am so proud of you uncle. You are one of my heros. Good for you to show them how to deal with the fire. love you and I respect you a lot. hugs,

From Lueria

Anonymous said...

wow, what a great blog. I felt as if I was there. I respect you a lot for working on the line. You are one of my heros. Good for you showing them what you can do. hugs. Thank you for sharing.

Hugs, Lueria