Sunday, September 27, 2009

No partridges in pear trees here.



Yeh, it was like this: I took my shoes off to air my “dogs” and what did I see in front of me? You’re right. Bigfoot, Sasquatch, The Wild Man of the Forest, Oh-Mah, or what ever you want to call him. I don’t know, I guess he may have been attracted to the aroma of my feet!

Andrew, Rachael, and I went hunting again yesterday. It was a very successful day except for the fact that we didn’t see any legal deer. In fact we only saw two deer all day. We did see a lot of squirrels, big salmon jumping in the river (we each saw one but not the same one), 4 bear, and a lot of grouse near a pear tree.

I think the gray squirrels over in Siskiyou County may have some kind of mutual death wish that they’re all taking part in. As near as I can figure out it goes something like this. Two very bored squirrels sit along alongside a well-traveled road. They're probably the miscreants of the squirrel world and should really doing something constructive like preparing for winter or at least laying out in the sun catching the last rays of summer. But no, they are daring each other to dart in front of oncoming cars and run down the road in front of the car as long as possible before veering off to the side. I’m not sure what they get for winning other than bragging rights and the cheers of admiring fans (hopefully of the opposite sex). Maybe, they’re betting stores of stashed nuts. Judging from the pressed-out remains in the road it appears that it’s one of those types of races that you can win a lot of times but only lose once. One of those winner-take-all kind of contests. See, the Darwin Awards are alive and well in the animal world too.

My students at school always ask me after I get back from taking a sick day or a long weekend, "Mr. Hooper, how come you always come back all tired, scratched and beat-up looking, itching from poison oak, and your pickup has even more scratches on it? In spite of the way you look and smell you have a big grin on your face. You must really enjoy being sick."
To see pics click on the title.
Jim
P.S. If you can get your hands on the Oct. issue of Nat Geo it's awesome! There's to be a special on the Nat Geo Channel called Climbing Redwood Giants Sept. 29 at 10 pm ET. I think it's based in part from the book I just finished reading (that I highly recommend) The Wild Trees by Robert Preston, published by Random House. 2007.

1 comment:

Lili said...

Jim, you are so enticing me, and with Jess having so much fun there when we visited you on his birthday, I just might, be about to talk him into the area, and Lisi also agree's, she'd love to be there down the road. We just don't like the idea, they don't have what they now have in Washington and Oregon,.... on some issues, with life choices.