Saturday, January 23, 2010

Geez Dad!

I didn't think I'd have to wade-high and wade-low, digging through months of posts and comments to find those treasured little nuggets of information that you'll be going down to Loma Linda from January 27 - 29 and then treatment will start February 8.

Backstory: From my mother one morning over coffee I hear that he'll be starting treatment soon. So, I text him asking, "Hey, when are you leaving to Loma Linda to start your treatment?" He must have been extremely busy (it was a working day...Wednesday, I think) because the response I got back was..."It's on the family blog and my personal blog."

Now, let me ask each of you reading this: Do you check this blog everyday? Every week? Once a month? Or just before family reunions to catch up on everything before you meet everyone?

Back to the story: So, after work, taking care of the Wife, finding out I've got a baby of my own coming, and trying to have some fun with my brother and friends online (think Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for the XBox360) I sit down on this fine Saturday morning with a GIGANTIC cup of coffee and start reading the blog...and reading...and reading...and reading and then I FOUND IT!!! Eureka!

So, dad, thanks for posting it and sorry I don't read the blog more often.

On a side note: The blog is like being in the room with all of you. It's amazing the things that pop into our minds and what matter to us. Everything from family history genetics to Bibles in dangerous translations to snow on the road to Chuck...I love it...and I really hope all this stays "out there" on the world wide web so that 2o years from now my little boy (Alexander....coming soon) can read what all his relatives (especially his grandpa) had to say to each other and about each other. I know that it was hard to "contribute" to the family dialogue when I was between the ages of 0-18 at family reunions because I knew so little of the HUGE family history that already existed between everyone. Starting out, as the "younger generation" at the family reunions I really was at a disadvantage because everyone else there had spent the last 20+ years (lifetime, really) building the relationships and conversations. As I've grown older and not been the "youngest generation" anymore, for example at this latest family reunion, I found it much easier to mix with and know other family members and I really liked it. I think it just comes with becoming an adult.

I think if we just make sure that the "younger generation" has fun when we get together, then they'll keep coming back and from there the relationships and conversations will grow.

Where ever you and are and whatever you're doing, Have a Good One. And thanks for posting Dad!

12 comments:

other said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
other said...

Andrew, I have no life so i live here.
Dick

Claudia said...

i would say that i probably check it about once a week. like to see what everybody else is up to. i can't wait to meet Alexander and i am SO happy for you two!

Tia Kachis

Peter said...

Good post Andrew. Welcome to Mid-cycle (right before midlife). Personally, I don't do Facebook; most of the young people are keeping up with friends on Facebook. Funny, when younger,I used to think I'd did't have a life unless I was "sailing", or some such thing. Now I don't think I have a life if I am away from my wife and family, and extended family. Something starts aching if I don't see my brothers and sisters and families for a while.

Sandi Hooper said...

Andrew, I kind of remembering you entering the dates on your iPhone as we sat there drinking coffee. And as you always say to me when I ask you details about events: "talk to Rachael." I guess it's really true--the apple does NOT fall far from the tree!

So if you wanna know details, who ya guna call?

Teresa Garcia said...

Sometimes it's daily, sometimes it's weekly. It really depends what's going on.

I'm being a bad girl, staying up later than I should after working on catch up nearly all day for school. I have two more quizzes and a discussion board to check on tomorrow if I want to be all caught up to my class... thanks to a power outage. I told my closest friend and my usual online study/work/ramble to so I stay awake/emotional support people I was going to bed... so I'd better do it. Or they'll be able to tell. Not that they'll shake fingers or anything, but I'll sure get heckled to "study harder."

I'm looking forward to the next reunion. *yawn* sometime in the next few days I'll post about our adventures here in McCloud regarding our last snow storm. Now is the time to come ski and snowboard, it's fresh on the mountain.

*Has the bad feeling she's going to be dreaming about information literacy, reading university protocol, and the new APA paper style*

Uncle Jess and Aunty Lili said...

Just wanted to let you know, that it's not been 20 years, do you remember the first family reuion.?? You attended, it was also the first for us, as your brothers and sisters, as we did not grow up together> So we also as brothers and sisters are getting to know each othere.

That is why we love it when all of you kids, and your children, come to the family gatherings... it's all new to all of us.

God Bless, I check it daily but some times as busy as it is, II don't get in to read it.

Your AUNT Bonnie and Rick moved,, this coming week Lis, moves,Monday I move back out to St. Helens, to start the remodel, of the house, removing all from the place. Crown and Mustang are in the place to be rebuilt, so it's a busy time for me. Also I have a new car, and Jess and I are talking after we have the cars and motorcyles done, four of them, then we will get us Pickups, a 1951 and 1939. Uncle Jess is looking at a harley!!! So that is our life.

Peter said...

Lili; sounds like you've got a lot going. I'm very happy for Jess- getting a Harley, That's great! Please let us know Lisi's address when you can. I'm pretty sure we have your St.Helens address somewhere, but you might send that too. Thanks

Jim said...

I get on once a day. The way I see the blog is that it's a virtually virtual way of getting to know each other. Sometimes when we do get together the color of the sky and the weather is all the talk, rather than what makes us who we are and what our likes and dislikes are. The blog is a place where a person can choose to share everyday moments, big and small. A place to find out how we're the same and how we're different.

lueria said...

Hi, I know for me. I read this about every 3 days. some things pass thru. I would love the address to uncle Jim where he is going for treatment.

I have 4 kids and can't go back and re read things. at this time. lol. They hate me on the computer. My kids complain if im on it more then 10 min a night. remember I also book all my hair stuff on line. lol. My kids i keep it simple. I want them to know they are important then facebook. lol.

My kids love coming to the reunion. Their age is 15 and 20. They love the uncles and Aunt and the talks funny and serious. anyone thanks all for this site. and yes Uncle jim thanks for posting this. Thank you uncle Peter too. hugs to everyone. :)

Sandi Hooper said...

Lueria, there is no address that you can reach Jim at with the treatment. You have his cell phone & email address, right? If not call us at home and we'd give it to you happily. He'll have his computer and phone, so you can reach him direct. Also, If you post here, he'll see it. His treatments are at Loma Linda Medical Center in southern CA, but they are done on an outpatient basis, he won't be admitted to the hospital. Hope this helps.

lueria said...

your too sweet aunt Sandi. I will check if i have your guys cell phone. but I can 't just post here. love you both. :)