Friday, August 24, 2007

Glenda's Book List Post

I have tried and tried to post my book list where it should be, but there is something wrong with that page. I can't post at all and it just keeps jumping,clicking and making me feel like I am on drugs again!

So, Jim, here we go.

1. Truth War by John MacArthur (I might have his last name spelled wrong)
2. The God of the Patriarchs Abraham, Issac & Jacob by Beth Moore
3. A Memoir on the Craft of Writing by Steven King
4. A Writing Life by Annie Dillard

I just finished Shogun by James Clevall and a part of The Knights of the Black and White by Jack Whyte that I just threw out.I recently finished one of his books called Skystone and throughly enjoyed it, but The Knights of the Black and White was blashphemous so I threw it out and will not support this author with my purchases again. I was extremely grieved with his story that Paul was not a Jew and that he invented Jesus and the world has fallen for it. My heart is very heavy for those who will believe a man but not take the time to ask God to reveal Himself thru His written word.

I am like you, I read a couple of books a couple of times. The Writing Life by Annie Dillard is one of them. I really enjoyed this book of hers but the one she won her Pulitzer for, Pilgrim on Tinker Creek, I did not care for too much. My next one of hers will be An American Childhood.

Who else is reading out there? Love you all. Gi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of my books as well. I'm currently reading three books. One is particularly holding my attention. 'Legacy of Ashes', The history of the CIA. (facinating) Problem is, I have way too many favorite books. So, at least I'll start with these:
1. My three favorites I consider a set, because they start simply and progress to show why there is 'natural law', and what this means to us. All by C.S. Lewis
a. The Great Divorce (not marriage type)
b. Mere Christianity
C. The Abolition of Man (I've read these so many times I can't count)

2. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This is a multiple read book that I've only read once. (I was making way too many friends). After reading it I decided that I should be doing all these things anyway, my faith demands it.

3. Bruchko by Bruce Olson- Story of a kid who wanted to do mission work, but wasn't "qualified". At 19 he went alone into the Jungle to reach a tribe of very bad indians. You wouldn't believe it until you find it's thouroughly documented.

4. Let Go by Fenelon an 18th century mystic. Speaks about total surrender, which is the

5 'Normal' Christian life. Which, by the way, is another favorite; written by Watchman Nee, a Chinese Christian martyred during the Red Revolution.

other said...

Peter, That's interesting about the book, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. I read it when I was about 20 and it's one I kept. I was impressed. Such common sense knowledge. And, I think the book was published about 60 years ago. I need to read C.S. Lewis' books. Can you believe it, I haven't read any. I started one time, but didn't finish it.
Jim