Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Reading list

As the summer comes to a close and there is more time for reading I would like to suggest that we share books that we are reading and/or have read that we enjoyed and found personally beneficial.

I feel that books that I’ve read are somewhat like positive experiences that I’ve had, they are best enjoyed if they can be shared with someone else. I feel that what we avail ourselves to can actually form and shape the person that we become. This is not to say that all that we read or see we become. I do say that it has an influence on us.

Through all the books I had to read in college I only kept perhaps 4 or 5 books. But, in part, these books formed or shaped how I perceive the world around me. They defined how I felt myself to be, and helped me to understand what I felt.

I would like to suggest that we each compile a list of books and post them so we each can have the opportunity to benefit from what others have felt to be useful.
Jim

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Read?
whats that? havnt read a book since .....

Peter said...

So Jim, what you reading?

other said...

When we get home I'll list all the books I'm reading at the present time.

other said...

That "Other" guy is really making me maaaad! Mom never said one thing about an 11th kid...he just pops up out of nowhere! Where is home when he gets there? Written by the good sibling - Glenda.

Jim said...

Don't get maaaad, get glaaaadd! I think he or she is a cyberspace case!

Here are some books that I'm reading at the present time:

(1)Your Life Why It Is the Way It Is and What You Can Do About It Understanding the Universal Laws. by Bruce McArthur
Yes, that is the title. It is the best book I have ever read. I try to reread it once a year and I always learn more from it. I'm reading it now.
(2) Questions from Earth Answers from Heaven. by Char Margolis
(3)The Four Agreements. A Toltec Wisdom Book. by Don Miguel Ruiz
(4) Live and Learn and Pass it On. by Jackson Brown, Jr.
(5) The Power of Now. by Eckhart Tolle

Jim

Unknown said...

I'm going to try that McArthur book, but Toltec wisdom???? Was there such a thing? I suppose it's possible. I'll have to think about that a bit.

Peter said...

Ok, I've been thinking about "Toltec Wisdom". The Toltec culture, like the Myans and others, commonly did human sacrifice. They were particularly evil and did mass child sacrifices to their god (can't remember his name). But, as I said, I've been thinking; America sacrifices children, yet there is still some wisdom in America. Certainly there were those in the Toltec culture who couldn't abide the practice. I believe every human has an innate conscience of right and wrong (except those tribes descended from chimps). The Toltecs, like our culture, were, no doubt, very sophisticated in the reasoning and justification of human sacrifice. Perhaps they called it 'late birth control'. So Jim, you probably found a book by one Toltec, who somehow, escaped the common though that God does and likes that which is intuitively evil.

Jim said...

Don't think too much before you read the book.
Jim

Peter said...

Good advice for all books, thanks