Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Life goes on for some and some go Home.

Well, its been only a week since I checked in on the family blog and it took me 20 minutes to catch up on all the news. It really is a blessing to hear from all of us in one place.

We buried Neville, my dad, on Sunday. He passed away on the Monday after the reunion and I am so grateful that I got to see him before he passed. He was aware of his surroundings and who was there and although it was hard for him, he made our time with him very sweet. After reading Bonnie's note about Wes, I felt the need to say to all of us what I said to my kids at Daddy's funeral. Let's celebrate each other now while we are here. Let's not have excuses of too much work, or too far to travel, or too many bills, keep us from persevearance in our relationships. Let's cherish each other for the wonderful creation that we are - taking the good and the bad, tossing out the bad because not one of us is all good.

I am personally very glad for every bit of my life. The good, the bad and the ugly. I guess I can say that because I am confident that the work started in me by Jesus Christ will continue until his return.(Philipians 6:1) And He is no where near done with me yet, so it is really about Him! I look back at all the potholes along my journey and some of them were overwhelming at the time...but as the haze clears, my look back reveals that I was never alone. I had the prayers of so many of the people who had a part in all of our lives. What will the younger generation be able to say of us? What do each of us want to be remembered for? What is the most important thing that I want my nieces and nephews, grandchildren and children to remember about me and my life? Yes, we are the oldsters now...what a great place we are in! We have a previous generation's life experiences to teach us and a younger generation that we can teach. What an awesome priviledge to be invited to be part of another person's life. I love you all and thank you for such a great reunion. There are so many I did not get to spend nearly enough time with, but next year I promise to do better. Boy, a year seems a long way off!!!

Love, Gi

4 comments:

Jim said...

Glenda,
I'm sorry for your loss, but glad that you were there for him, and he was there for you.

You really captured some great feelings. You're right, at a person's funeral is not the time nor place to sing someone's platitudes. The time is in the here and the time is now.

Also, you're right about the day. We really can't do anything about yesterday, only today.

Love, Jim

Anonymous said...

GLENDA, MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU ALL. I AM GLAD THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO SEE HIM BEFORE HIS PASSING. IT IS A GOOD FEELING TO KNOW THAT HE CARES AND THAT SO DO YOU. WE GOT TO SEE BEN'S FATHER 2 WEEKS BEFORE HE PASSED AND HE CLEARED SOME THINGS UP AFTER THE INITIAL SETBACK. HE REALIZED WHAT HAD HAPPENED AND WAS SO APOLOGETIC. BEN DIDN'T FIGURE OUT TILL JUST THIS SUMMER THAT DAD WAS REALLY CLEAR IN HIS MIND THE LAST TIME WE SAW HIM. IT WAS THE LAST TIME THAT HE WAS CLEAR. HE KNEW WE LOVED HIM AND WE KNEW THAT HE LOVED US AND IN REALITY, THAT WAS ALL THAT MATTERED.

HE WILL BE WATING FOR YOU WHEN IT IS YOUR TIME TO GO HOME. HE WILL NEVER BE GONE AS LONG AS YOU HOLD HIM IN YOUR HEART. WE LOVE YOU AND WISH THE BEST FOR ALL. LOVE BEN AND ILLA.

Anonymous said...

what a great way ti look at life,"some go home" !!

Sandi Hooper said...

Glenda,I'm so glad that your dad did it his way and that you got to be a part of it all. Best hugs honey.