Thursday, June 18, 2009

The latest on Chuck

I just received this from Susan. We're in Medford for doctor appointments and car servicing. We're off for Iowa. I'll call Chuck, Carlene, and Mitch when we get settled into a campground.

FYI

Carlene emailed me from the emergency room. Chuck had been acting a little bumbly and had thrown up, so she told him she was going to take him to emergency, but he didnt' want to go, so she said in the morning she would take him, which she did.

In short, blood pressure was 200/126, and they couldn't get it down, so they checked his blood. Blood sugar, 629. (Normal is 95-125) He will be in the hospital while they flush the sugar out of his system with at least 6 liters of fluid. And they are doing a complete battery of blood tests to see what else they might find.

This developed over time. Carlene noticed that he was buying a lot of juice--mostly grape juice. She thought it was just one of his quirks, and didn't realize that he was actually drinking it wholesale for about a couple months, and always had about 40 bottles in the garage. Also drank apple and orange juice. But no water. The juice would make him thirsty, so he would drink more juice. She saw enough of this to warn him that all these juices were high in sugar, and he shouldn't be drinking so much of them, but should drink water, or he'd get diabetes. But she didn't see all he drank, as she works 5 week days and every other weekend. (Cares for Alzheimer people at their homes.) She also found out that he hadn't been taking his meds for about 2 weeks, so that fed intot he toxic mix, as well. Sometimes he is very regular with them, and other times, just doesn't do it. I think it is annoying to him to have to take them.

So the last few days, (I think she said she was home 3 days in a row at the time) she started noticing that he was more bumbly than usual, and last night, she heard him messing around in the hall for about 20 minutes and finally got up and asked what was going on. He was trying to start the washer--yes, the same one he's had for a couple decades. He didn't know how to start it. So Carlene started it for him, then turned it off and he tried again, but wasn't really "getting it". She looked at his face, and his eyeballs were bulging and bloodshot. This is when she realized he was more odd than usual and said she'd take him to the hospital. Urgent Care place was closed at 10:00 PM and he didn't want to go to emergency room at the hospital because it would cost him quite a bit and he wasn't in the mood. If she had known how serious it was, she would have taken him right then, but they waited till morning and they went in at 10:00.

I don't know what to do about him. Carlene is there about 3 days a week now, and stays with her boyfriend other times, or else is working a 48 hour shift on the weekends with the Alzheimer's. She kind of has to work to make living expenses and pays Chuck $500 a month for living there. (He allowed her to come and live with him because he believed he was doing her a favor, becaus she couldn't afford to rent an apartment. Otherwise, if was coming to "help him", he wouldn't have let her in the door. Mitch had to talk him into "helping" her.) And Chuck is so hard to live with, it has been a trial for her, but she does love him and cares about what happens to him.

She remembered that he had thrown up 2 days ago, and this might mean that he had another stroke. But could also be symptom of the high blood pressure and high blood sugar combo.

Her phone is 503-320-9744, if you want to talk with her. Might be a good idea to check in even when things aren't emergency and just keep a finger on the pulse of the situation. Times not to call would be commuter times (7-8 AM, 4-6 PM) and lunch (12-1) when she has to feed people. She's usually up until at least 10:30 PM--she's a "night person", so doesn't mind calls later in the evening. She's more free then, actually. But during the day, we communicate quite a lot through her cell phone.That email is: 5033209744@VTEXT.COM (her phone numberwith no spaces--note two 3s in a row.)

If using the cell phone email, when you reply to her message, erase both the Subject and the message, because they count as characters, and there is a limit of 160 characters, which is just a little less than 2 lines. Abbreviate "whn U can".

So, that's the update. Pray for him. He's a stubborn guy, but God knows how to reach him, and Chuck told me he still goes to church now and then, to SDA church nearby. (That was before his first stroke last year.) So he has not abandoned God, and I don't believe God has abandoned him--if for no other reason that Mom prayed enough prayers for him to extend far past her lifetime!

God bless you, bro!

Love,
Susan

Jim

15 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks for posting this Jim. This is really heart breaking, but necessary info. True, God has not abandoned him, the proof is the care he is receiving from those around him.

Bonnie said...

I agree Peter, I just wish Chuck knew how much others that he has kept himself away from care about him. I have honored his wishes not to contact him but he is in my heart and prayers. Even though I am such a bad communicator with my family at least we know we love eachother and sur a special bond because we don't give up on our relationships with eachother. In so many ways I feel things I will never feel for others because we are finally acting like brothers and sisters and realize although we don't alway agree we never stop loving and respecting eachothers differences. Chuck has never let us get to that point and that saddens me so much.

Thanks Jim for letting us know how he is doing.

Teresa Garcia said...

Oh my goodness. That is quite scary.

Peter said...

I know how you feel Bon, but a lot has happened since Chuck told us not to email so much. Just before (check my facts everyone) the last reunion, Mitch and Carlene jumped in and basically saved Chucks life. Then Ben and Illa jumped in with that gang and worked out his finances/retirement. Then Chuck came to the last reunion. His spirits were pretty high and he bonded pretty well with BnI. Anyway, I think Chuck might be more open now. I may be wrong, but I think he was just overwhelmed last time. I wish I were closer to Chuck; he's got one of those personalities I'd love to get to know better. But when I see how God has taken care of him, it makes me feel somewhat better. I wholly agree with Susan, about Helen's prayers. In fact, I am truly awed how God has answered her prayers. Sometimes I just look up and say, "Thank you God, what amazing grace you have given ten little ragamuffins". We had nothing going for us until God rescued us.

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone,

Mitch here.

In talking to Carlene about
Chuck, I gather Chuck can't be left alone, and will need someone with him constantly, becaus he can't control his bladder, and the doctor feels that Chuck may also have Diabetes, and needs to take the insulin shots, and also needs to change his diet 100% from what it is now.

In all, it looks like someone is will to need to step in to help Chuck that can be with him 24/7.

Who ever can do this would have plenty of finances to do so because of the amount of money that could come out of his house, if it were to be sold, and his retirement money as well.

I'm thinking hard of any one I know in the family, but still come up blank.

If anyone in our familys can take on such a very big responsibility to help him, it would be much nicer then having to put him into assisted liveng with someone we don't know.

I know Chuck has always blocked out most of his brothers, and sisters, and that is a sad thing, but I hope everyone can understand, and put it behind them.

I only got to meet all of you one time back in about 1991 at the Redding family reunion, but I really thought that all of you were such wonderful people,
and I know you all care for him,and love very much.

If any one wants to call me please do so, my phone nuber is (916)879-5296.
this phone number is my
business phone line so I answer the phone to (Carpet Services Plus)

I don't think that Chuck will ever be in a clear state of mind from here on out, because from what I had seen of him after his first series of strokes last year, he had already been a little less his normal self.

So if any one has any input please call me, any good info will be good.

Thank you, I love you all.
Sincerely,
Mitch Davis.

ILLA said...

To Mitch (If you get to read this) and all. If Chuck is willing, he is welcome to come and live here with me. I have plenty of room, It is out in the country, I do work 4 days a week but If he needs me, like Ben did, I would be willing to go on leave again or just plain quit. He could help me out here but i do not have a very large social life, There is not much to do here either for that matter, but I do take care of the family when they need it. I have lots of animals and I am not sure how he would take all of them. We do have a medical clinic here in town and are 30 minutes from the nearest hospital.

He is very welcome here at any time. Anyway, discuss it with him. Love to all.

Illa

Anonymous said...

Hello Illa,

I will talk to Chuck, and I'm not sure how he will do with my advice, all I know is he needs to let his family help him.

I will talk to Jim, and maybe he will have some good input as well, I think it would be good for all of us, and Chuck if he could be with you, but I will have to maybe take the power of attorny to make it work, I'm not sure what state of mind Chuck is going to be in after he recovers a little.

you have a big heart, and you do allot of good for the family, I know God looks down on you and smiles.

I pray that God can open Chucks eyes, and maybe he can see how good his family really is.

I'll keep you posted on what happens with Chuck.

Take care.
Sincerely,
Mitch.

Ben Garcia said...

that would be awesome if chuck could go 2 bieber, would really like 2 spend more time with em, had a great time with em at teh reunion an enjoy bein round em, wish dad was round though 2

ILLA said...

Mitch; check thru Chucks papers as a power of Att. was supposed to be one of the things that he got done when we were there so that you or Charlene were able to take care of his PERS stuff and any thing else as he has named you two as his beneficiaries. I believe that he keeps those in one of those black plastic zip bags. At least that is where he would dig stuff out of when we asked for things for his retirement stuff. I know it was on the list of things that he was supposed to do. I kept calling and bugging him on that list and then Ben got sick and it slipped my mind.

If he still wants to keep in the political side of things, he can join our Lions Club, Museum Board, Chamber of Commerce and that such. We aren't big but do need someone who is willing to put in his two cents worth and at least show up to the meetings.

He might enjoy being here in just knowing that Ben is close by. I don't know but sometimes just that thought helps. He also expressed the idea last year at spending some time here as there were places that he wanted to explore.

ILLA

Illa

ILLA said...

Oh, I forgot to add that we have 2 SDA churches in the area. One here in Bieber, really small, and then one in Fall River where Ben would go. Also small but bigger than Bieber. The Pastor serves the churches from Ceaderville down thru Round Mountain.

Anonymous said...

Hello Illa,

I'll see if I can find any pappers he may have filed regarding power of attorney.

I know he had told me at one time I could have power of attorney, but he may have never done the paper work.

I will go over to Chucks house later today, and also plan to go see Chuck at the hospital, I'm not sure what state of mind he is in at this time.

I know the doctor was telling Carlene that Chuck will have to be with some one as soon as he is out of the hospital, wich is in the next few days, I will talk to him and see what way he is thinking, because I know he is one of the most independant people I have ever known, and I think he still doesn't know he needs help.

Any how it sounds to me that you really have a great setup that would be perfect in helping Chuck, I see you know a allot about what he likes to do, and how he thinks.

I think we all need to keep Chuck in our prayers that God can help him listen to us.

Take care, love you all.
Sincerely,
Mitch.

LILI said...

Chuck and I have a wonderful friendship and all, if he needs me, let him Know that I will come,... as I do understand what is going on with him...... I could help him with cooking, and when his sister is there I could work some place.

Lili

Dick said...

Dont know at to say. but Chuck is in my thoughts and prayers. But nothing will change till he is willing to do what he needs to do.

Lili said...

Going to go to Chuck, family.... Jess see's his doctor the 24, and we see the lawyer, Tu, Mo, go get my driver's license for Washington, as I have my home location at my sister's. Chuck needs me, and I've talked to Mitch, it is my area of work. Life is strange, but also feel that it's where I am needed at this time.

Was going to go to Bonnie's, but am needed at Chucks, and also this way when I do go places, I can have Chuck with me, strange how life is..... Bonnie, I hope you understand, as I talked to them down at Chucks, and I am needed. With hope I can be with Jess when he goes in, but all agree, with me going to Chuck, as they know him and I have a closeness, Love to all

ILLA said...

Mitch: I get off work today at about 3 pm. Leaving in a few minutes. Give me a call when you are done at Chucks trying to find things and you have talked to him. If I don't see any blinking lights when I get back or a message on my cell phone (530-260-0876) I will call you.

Thank you. Illa