Monday, June 1, 2009

A Mountain Highway Adventure

Yesterday, the Jeep, which still has no name other than Jeep or Buddy, broke down near the rest stop south of McCloud (and north of Bartle) on Hwy 89. I was driving along, headed back up to the kids and a class I'm trying to get to today regarding important papers, Suddenly, I see a puff of white smoke coming up out of the defrost vents at the base of my windshield. This was accompanied by a whiff of burnt peppermint (like if you toss a candy on the fire, not like if you toss the leaves on) and my "Oh crud..."

So I pulled off the road and let the engine cool. Meanwhile, I opened up the hood and was overwhelmed by that awful smell. To be sure, I was looking for more smoke with visions of engine fires dancing in my head. Luckily no, and I didn't have one of those extinguishers on hand. Maybe I should invest in one to keep in there. Of course, I managed to not see my fan belt had come apart and was wrapped up. That was discovered later.

I turned on the engine (remember, the fact the fan belt shredded was still undiscovered), and it made a horrible noise that I just can't describe, so I shut it off again. Called mom, and Bj... couldn't get either of them at first. I sent a status notification off, just in case the unthinkable happened and some nutjob stopped to offer help and hauled me off. Unlikely, but one never knows. I even called Adam.

Of course, it was hot, I was actually sweating hard, and I had no water in the vehicle. This is actually unusual, I always try to keep drinking water on hand just for such emergencies.

Eventually, I was rescued. Meanwhile, CHP had checked on me, and a group of bikers had stopped and sent one of the ladies to wait with me. As she put it "leaving a young lady alone on the side of the road is just unacceptable." I was rather grateful, as I'd already seen one buzzard circling me (to my morbid amusement)
and I found it strange that so many people were stopping.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that so many people stopped to make sure that I was ok and whether I had help coming, but with every person stopping I began to wonder how much longer it was going to be till I met someone I didn't want to. Bright purple, a pretty (I guess. :P) face with cell phone in hand, sitting outside of a car way too hot to stay in seems to draw a lot of attention.

Like I said though, I was eventually rescued. BJ and April, with some water, and and friend, came. While I drank water like my life depended on it (it did, I didn't fancy a trip to the hospital for an IV or anything) they inspected the engine. THIS is where the fanbelt problem was discovered.

Uncle Peter, that karma thing about vehicles came round full circle. I'm sorry I laughed at your ancient tire, though old tires should grow beard to show that they aren't safe. Later today we will discover what else is wrong. Hopefully it's just the serpentine fan belt that needs replacing.

~Teresa

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Love your visuals beloved neice ! I am glad you are safe and that so many people in this world were concerned; and rightly so! Yes, carry water, fire ext & a cell phone that does not lose a signal. We will m,ake this list so long, we'lll need trailers to haul all emergency equiptment. LOL !!!

Dick said...

just because of your story i went and picked up a spare fan belt and another gallon of antifreeze. and another clip for my 45.

Teresa Garcia said...

Smart. Then you can have buzzard meat in the event you're never found. And if you are found, they can't get close enough to get ya.

I find it a bit ironic that the captcha phrase to type for this is "casts"

Jim said...

I'm glad that you came through safe and sound.
When we drove across the country in '01 Sandi bought a cell phone. The only place it didn't work was where we needed it when we were broke down in a place that was half way between no-where and I-have-no-idea where-we-are. Affordable satellite phone service is what I'm waiting for.
Jim

Peter said...

Teresa; you have every right to laugh at my caramel; I ignored that little voice that said - "change your tires".

Something about a familiar road, always seems to make it feel safer, but it aint particularly so. Thank the Lord for cell phones CHPz and Bikers!

ILLA said...

Teresa did get me eventually and it would happen to be the time that I was outside without the phone. Also lucky that BJ was just getting off work as I could not have come to help as I don't have access to a hauler trailer at the moment. I also hope that it is not too serious.

Teresa learned today that she gets an apt. It starts out to be only a 1 bdrm but she has to take it to keep her rent assistance nd they get to keep the apt. as one of those. So she will be signing papers for it tomorrow and then get to move in after they get it cleaned up which will be sometime about the 12th. Which then the trailer will be available for other use. Right now it is loaded with stuff for the apt.

I am still waiting for Joe, Lynn, and Heather/little one to stop by. They should have been here today but it is almost 10 pm. and no news. It will be an all day drive from the coast as they won't be able to go very fast. They said if they didn't make it today it would be tomorrow. I guess I need to get out the baby stuff and get it cleaned up for them. Hope they have room for it.

Talk to you all later. Love you guys.

Illa

Anonymous said...

that was quite a trip but the santa fe did really good with haulin it back here, its ironic cause i have 2 tow trucks now an workin on a 3rd LOL but there in bieber 2 be worked on

BJ