Saturday, December 20, 2008

Back to Redding from Memorial

Dear Family, Karen and I met Glenda Saturday morning, she parked her car and we headed up to the memorial together. The weather was perfect, but the forecast was for snow in the early evening. We drove 1.5 hours into the mountains to a quaint little town, with snow about 12" deep. Our first impression of Ben's church was altogether good. Very loving and giving folk.

The Pastor, who is new, and didn't know Ben asked us many questions about the family. He had already talked to Teressa and Illa. When it came time to give his (short) message, he commented on how God had brought the family back together, and used our unique experiences in his message. He did a wonderful job.

There were some touching moments as the service went on. There were many who took up the Pastor's offer to share things about their relationship with Ben. The thing that touched me the most is when little Athena walked up to the front and took the microphone, and appeared almost the most relaxed of us all! I really wish I had a recording to share with you. What a wonderfully special girl Athena is.

Another highlight for me is when Joe got up to share how much he appreciated Ben being just like a father to him. Joe is the son of Ben's foster brother who died at a young age. Joe is a precious soul and a real asset to our family.

Illa, Teressa did remarkably well holding it together as they spoke, but ultimately they couldn't get everything out what they wanted to say.

Illa knows about the weather in Oregon and knows how hard the trip would have been for everyone. By the way, Karen and I cheated in this trip and left two days early, making the pass between storms. We could do this because I don't have a lot of work at this time.

One last note; we're at an age where most of us have lots of things going on. Health is a big thing. Marriage problems is another. Glenda is immersed in a school curriculum better matched for teen. Some people have jobs that are super taxing emotionally. Then they may have other things going on too. Some are lonely, some suffering with broken hearts. Let's always think the best of each other. Let's be praying for one another. And be especially praying for Illa and family as they adjust to Ben being gone. We love you very much, Peter and Karen

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you made it, we love you all. Spent the day with Lisi, Jess called Lueria, said she sounded up beat and sounded like she was having fun with her family... We used to have fun brings back good memories, I am so glad to see her happy,... The weather is crazy here in Portland, and also deep out here, in St. Helens, have all 9 cat's in the RV with us. We are warm,... Lisi is doing great, I so wished we could have been there but could not chance it, we are looking forward to seeing Lueria morning of Christmas Eve, then head down to Suzy and my other sister. I am hoping that when I go east, I can drag my sister and brother-in-law back, laugh... They'll get so tired of me, laugh-- they will drag to pick up a location with me, here, so we have a location for them....!!!! At least start planning... I love this crazy family, I am so proud of each of you, and I see that when any one of us is hurt, it is all right to feel the pain, as it is possible to correct this issue,...we are a family that loves and opens their hearts to feel, ... Love to all. Lili

Jim said...

Peter,
Thanks for the update. It sounded like a very fitting service.
Jim

Anonymous said...

wish I could be there. Thank for the update. love you all. still hard to believe. sad day:( but we are locked in our home. Glad to hear you left early. I worked today and yesterday. even in snow. hugs

Anonymous said...

thanks for the report Peter.
Believe me when i say my thoughts were with everybody during the service.
The weather dosnt look to bad for your trip home, as far as tripcheck looks. this system looks like its all salem and north. but drive safe or let Karen drive.
Dick

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that those who made it, did, and that those who couldn't stayed where it was safe. Those roads always weigh heavy on my mind when it storms and I know loved ones could be moving around in it.

Unlce's right, mom and I had a lot more we wanted to say. I even made sure that the bare bones of what I wanted to share went up with me since I had it printed out. Even having it up there... it was just so hard to talk and my mind kept going in loops. Kinda kept getting stuck driving by the Grand Canyon listening to the song that covered so much ground with us on our summer trips.

Aunt Sandi, thanks for calling a bit ago. I'm glad you and Uncle Jim didn't brave the roads, even though it would have been so nice to have you there. I don't have any pictures from the service itself, but I've taken a picture of dad, the lighthouse lamp, and his flowers with how things are arranged here at the house (Joe did that? Still viewing the world through fuzzy haze). I'll upload it later tonight hopefully, don't really feel like digging through my computer bag for the camera cord.

Looking forward to seeing everyone when we can. Love you all. I know that everyone from the valleys were glad to meet those that came, and those that didn't come physically, we all know you were there with us in your hearts.

I'm so glad that God has made it possible to do so... given mankind the gifts that He has.

Anonymous said...

I want to Thank Everyone who got to come. It was great to see everyone and to have a very full house. Several strange things happened again. several people saw a face of Ben in the clouds by Burney mountain. His moustache and sunglasses. they took pictures so we can print them out to see. Then this am Teresa scaned Ben's service plaque to make pictures for Joe and a moth appearrd in the picture. The second night after Ben had passed, I was really tired and trying to sleep and I could see this thing floating around the room leaving little trails behind it. It stopped for a second by the door and I could see that it was a giant moth. It flew around and touched my face a few times, for about an hour then disappeared. It was strange to see a perfect moth in this picture. I will have to post it so everyone can see.

I love you all and thank you PNK. You were wise to tell me to open it at home. What a great family. No words can really say how much I appreciate every thing. Just know that I love you all.

Illa

Jim said...

To all that posted or commented after the service and those that were not able to attend, thank you for sharing. Sharing, understanding, and dealing with a loved one's passing is difficult. It doesn't matter how it is sliced, diced, or dealt with, it's an uncomfortable aspect of life to deal with. I find myself dealing with it in different ways, but the bottom line, it is hard. I don't really know if time heals all things, but I do believe that time goes on and we who are of the living must carry on.

At this point we don't have an exact date, but I will be going down to the local Parks and Recreation office to find out about open weekends in late August and early September. I'll be inquiring about a place called Florence Keller State Park. It's a park that is in a grove of Redwood trees halfway between the Redwood National Park and the ocean. It's right off Hwy. 101 just north of Crescent City.
Jim

Anonymous said...

wana thank ever1 that coule make it and ever1 that gavethere condosloles an all that sutff, we really apperaicet it and i do 2 as well

BJ

love yall

Anonymous said...

Illa I know what you mean, I have had some experance here and with Lisi, I felt him. Lose to Lisi, as she was sleeping during the service, as I had planned on talking her out. She was so peaceful in her sleep, I could feel him close to her, his spirit is with her, you could almost see him there. I know how close they were, and know I did the right thing as he had wished. Also Lisi feels his angel close to her.... God is wonderful and she so grratful what Ben and her shared. We were there, I know, as I could feel all the love there. Our Spirit was with you in heart, ... Love to all, Lili