Friday, December 19, 2008

We have dad

We have my dad, and I tell you... It's about time! The main urn and the smaller keepsakes were well cared for (a worry of mine, most everything was antique), and I had a surprise when the young gentleman bringing in father's main urn had that very nicely stowed in a green velvet bag.

Very respectful, did my heart good at any rate, and we received dad's remains in the same room that we dressed him in, so there was a bit of a cyclic feel about that. After receiving the main urn, I carried that over to mom. I wouldn't have wanted to try prying that away from her...

We also received dad's flag, and the memorial book and cards turned out very nice. I'm very pleased with how well dad's picture turned out.

On the way out of the city, we stopped at a place called "The Yogurt Shoppe" on Lake Blvd, on the north side right across from the ShopKo shopping center. Clay Tikker, dad's foster/adopt sister's son, owns and runs that... makes the yogurt for the frozen yogurt himself. Very good place, and we had a nice visit.

Well... I've run out of stuff to say, bit shaky and waiting for my kids and their dad, Joe and his family, and my brother and his family to arrive.

~Teresa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish we could be there, the weather is bad out where we live, snow at Lisi but not like my place. It would not be safe to cross over the pass and worried about the trip back with Lisi. We look forward to seeing you at the family gathering. Love to all. Lili

Anonymous said...

Teresa,
i read your post and for some reason it brought tears to my eyes. Kind of hard to see the screen as i type. i think the finality of the process brought relization to the fact that ill never see my brother again.
But i will always remember him as he was before he got sicker. I am so glad that i got to know him the last few years. And him telling me..
"Dont sweat the small stuff"
my love to all of you..
Dick

Jim said...

There sure are a lot of stages to the process of someone passing. I think that I've come to terms with one stage and then the next one takes me by surprise. Finality, it so .... final, but it has so many stages.
It hurts to think that, yes, I will never see Ben again. The memories are all good, but I'd rather have it like it was.
Teresa, thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Jim

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to get to the city to get things wrapped up. I have waited till last moment to see if I could make it as well; but with another front moving in, I can't. I am so sorry not to be able to join you at the memorial to say good bye. It is snowing right now and a bad wind storm heading in ... I can't risk it. My heart is with you Illa, Tereasa and BJ ! I love you !

Bonnie said...

Illa, Teresa and BJ, Thanks so much for keeping us informed. I am so grateful for this blog and whoever started it. Especially at time like this with so many miles apart and our busy lives, being able to have this connection, I believe has made us link together probably more than just depending on the slug mail or even the phone. [I am not a phone person.]
This stage of Ben being gone and bring home his ashes really makes it so real, but then I try to remember, this is not the end of him, it is really the beginning of a life we are all looking forward to... The pain of lose is ours to share but the joy of knowing the next time we see him he will be in perfect health and younger looking than any of us that are still alive at the resurrection. I can't wait till that day. I truly believe with everything going on, we are living in the last days and we wont have to wait very long now to be able to see Ben and all our loved ones that have died.

Illa, please know that I am with you in my heart, You are an amazing woman and I know with all the prayers sent to you, God has held you up and given you the stength you needed, He will continue to be close by, don't ever hesitate to call on Him for anything. God Bless All My Family

Looks like Suzy and I were on the blog at the same time. I love you little sister. I want to call you, but I am afraid to.