Sunday, May 11, 2008

4th update Chuck Sun., May 11

I talked to Mitch last night and again this morning. Mitch spent the afternoon at Chuck's house, most of it waiting for Chuck to arrive home. When I called last night he was still there talking to him and probing him for information. I did talk to Chuck on Mitch's cell phone and asked Chuck if he had car insurance. He was somewhat evasive and said that he had "to go to the bathroom" before I got a good response. Mitch said that he talked to a nurse friend of his and she said that Chuck was exhibiting the classic signs of depression. Thinking about it, his call to me last weekend was a cry for help, but it implied the fact that he had given up on holding on to his house and was looking at what happens next for him. But, it would be a shame to walk away from the equity he has in it. Mitch did say that Chuck became more like his old self as the evening wore on. The social interaction was good for him.

Come to find out Chuck has not been employed at the prison since around 2004. He was terminated because, in part, the fact that he was "verbally abusive with a supervisor." I'm sure here were more factors than that, but this is one. He had been prescribed medication for what Mitch believes was hyperactivity, but he stopped taking it. At what point? I don't know. It could have been lack of continued medical coverage, no money, or just stopped taking them because of he felt that they weren't effective. He had been going through medical evaluations at that point, but he didn't complete them. Does he still have the option to go through them at the CDC now? I don't know.

Chuck gave Mitch the impression that when he separated from the CDC he took the option of no continued medical coverage. Of course, he could be saying this to shut Mitch up, or realistically this could have been the option he chose.

There may be the possibility of VA benefits also since he was in the Air Force as well as the Reserves.

He did agree to go to the doctor, but I have an idea it was just to get Mitch off his back. He said that he would not allow Mitch to go with him. I told Mitch that I think that Chuck, if he would go, would not be upfront with a doctor. For that reason I encouraged Mitch to write down what he observes of Chuck's actions and give it to the doctor before the doctor sees him. Basically, documenting what he observes.

I don't know what Chuck has been living on, but I do hope that he didn't cash out any retirement that he had saved while employed. Also, I hope he didn't cash out any 401K that he had saved. He has mentioned to me that he had worked at the City of Sacramento Parks and Rec and at Wal-Mart, neither of which would have paid enough to support house payments. But, I can see that Chuck may do something like this since he probably wanted to sever all ties with the CDC.

As you can see, there are many more questions than answers, and Chuck is the only one privy to any information. Ben, I think that what you and Illa said about pursuing Chuck's records and possible options through your acquaintances at the CDC is a good idea. If you do go down there and can talk him into going to the CDC union office I'm that they would have records of his termination. Left up to Chuck I think that he would not pursue it, on the other hand it is something that needs to be dealt with.

Mitch talked with his sister, Carlene, today and mentioned some of the symptoms that Chuck is exhibiting may pointing to a thyroid problem. She must take medication for it. Of course, this is only her take on it, but she went through it. He has been diagnosed with it in the past and without the medication may be seeing the effects of not taking the medication. I'm not sure if it's hypo-thyroid or hyper-thyroid.

Peter, perhaps since you're pretty well versed on thyroid problems, maybe you could write him and try to convince him. If he hears the same thing from enough people this may persuade him to follow through and go to a doctor.

Jim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim: Why can't Chuck file for Bankruptcy??? That way he could save his house. I am sure that with him having no job or small paying jobs that would sure be a help to him. There is also the option of someone buying the tax lien on the house. I am not sure how long the owner has to redeem a tax lien sale here in california, it could be anywhere from 6 months to 4 years. A property owner is allowed to live in the house until he either redeems the tax lien sale plus interest and penalties or the person who buys the tax lien says that he has to move after the expiration of the redemption period. But it might be financially prudent for the other family willing to help do the short sale with the mortgage company and then could refinance it at a lower interest rate. Illa

Jim said...

I'll ask Forrest, Susan's son, he's a banker.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Jim: Have you all checked out Chucks insurance on the house?? I'll bet he had some sort of insurance coverage like life insurance or disability insurance so that if something happened to him the payments would be made and or paid off. With him possibly being disabled medically, that should take care of it. Have this Forrest or the other person check into while looking into the balance and stuff. I know we have it on our house so I'll bet he has it on his also.