Saturday, May 3, 2008

We received a call from Chuck last night.

Last night, Friday, we received a call from Chuck. He sounded somewhat calm, somber and demure. First, he asked if our little apartment was available, so, that told me that something was up. He said that his home is going through foreclosure. I know that he's been having a stressful time since he got booted from the CDC about two years ago for being a 'whistle blower.' He hasn't really told me what, if any, retirement he ended up with. I get the impression, not much. I think he's run out of options with his house payments.
He was calling from a pay phone so he couldn't talk very long. So, he probably doesn't have internet either anymore. Below is a letter I sent to him this morning.

His address if you want to contact him:
Chuck Hooper
(email or call me)

May 3, 2008
Dear Chuck,
It was good to hear from you, but the news wasn’t happy. Anyway, thanks for calling.
When we talked it sounded like you weren’t sure about how much longer you had in the house. Of course, if it’s as little as two weeks, we have to do something fast. What, if any, choices do you have from the bank?

First, you have options; we’ve been thinking of buying some sort of travel trailer or small RV, so this may be the time for us to do that. We would offer you to live at our little apartment but a woman that did her student teaching with Sandi last year hasn’t landed a job yet and is staying in it for awhile. She may be leaving in a month or two, so that’s still an option. Second, have you contacted George about the ranch in Redding? The last I heard, Charlie is in Salem and George is living in town. Third, we could loan you some money to make a payment if you see your way in the future where it could help you hold on to the house, and not just put off foreclosure one more month.

Whatever you decide to do, know that we're here to help and will come down and help you move if it comes to that. We can rent a U-Haul and store it up here.

Call anytime, and especially after you get this. Let us know what we can do.
Love, Jim


Jim

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey ?!! I didn't know he lost his job ! I knew he was doing investigation and help.
We have the 25 ft. 5th. wheel here set up next to the house, water, sewer and a phone line in it. That is where I stayed while we "patched" things up around here. He can use it if he wants. If he wanted to move it some place different I would need help to move it as my pickup hasn't been fixed yet. I do have the attachment that sits on the slider to load it but it still would need a pu that has that in it.
Let us know what we can do to help if anything. bg

Dick said...

Jim,
im glad that chuck got ahold of you. its too bad that hes going thru these issues. I hope that this is an opportunity for reconnection with the rest of us. maybe thats the silver lining in all this. As Peter would say "All thing work together for the good..."

Peter said...

It's great that Chuck called. I remember him talking about these things going on when he was at the reunion a couple times back. I went through something similar one time. Similar but not nearly as bad. It's really hard when your standing against an entire governmental machine. I don't know all the details, but being a whistle-blower can be very lonely business.It takes a remarkable man to do what Chuck did.

Sounds like he's got some good options here. God bless you, and God bless Chuck as he continues to deal with the consequences for doing what's right.

other said...

That is a blessing Chuck called. Amen. You all as bothers are showing him so much love. And at least he trust you Jim to open up to you. If I can do anything please call me. I will wait till I hear from you, on the help we can do. I will keep praying for him. hugs, Lueria

PS It might close him down if everyone gets a hold of him. So my thoughts are, let you lead this one. And be the chief with what the sisters and brothers can do. And nieces can do to......

Anonymous said...

Jim, I am so happy that Chuck is in touch with you. I wish so much that we were closer to be able to be of some help to him. So much is going on in the family right now, I am really feeling frustration because of the distance. Suzy's wedding, my moms birthday party, now being so far away from doing something for Chuck. I am hopeful that this might be a opportunity for reconnection that Chuck will make happen. My love and prayers are with him.

Jim said...

Yes, hopefully there will be a 'silver lining' to all of this. I'll keep everyone posted if I hear any more. I did ask him to call, but don't hold your breath. Look how long it took this time. Anyway, I think the important thing for him to know is, that he does have options.
Jim

Sandi Hooper said...

I was so glad that you guys called and talked to Jim about this. We are both very concerned about the situation.

Ben, I sure hope that if you're feeling up to it, you will go see Chuck and be my eyes for me. My imagination is too vivid sometimes, and If I could get away, I'd make Jim go there with me. You see, I spoke with Chuck on the phone before Jim got on, and you guys, I've never heard Chuck sound like this before in the 35 years I've known him.

If you pray, keep him in your prayers. If you sacrifice animals, offer up something good (no cat jokes please Peter). If you have time, please write him and let him know that you care. He is so gruff, but he needs you guys now. He needs to know the love and joy that you've all found by sticking together.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.