Friday, May 16, 2008

5th update Chuck, Fri., May 16

OK, here’s the latest. Mitch called yesterday (Wednesday afternoon) and left a message on our answering machine telling us that he had convinced Chuck to go to the doctor. This may seem like a very normal thing to do, but if you understand anything about Chuck, it was a big accomplishment. Anyway, the doctor determined that Chuck’s blood pressure was “dangerously high.” 193/108. He did prescribe 3 months of high blood pressure pills. Unfortunately that doctor’s office did not do thyroid tests so Mitch made an appointment to take him in to another office at 7:00 Thursday morning.

Also, Mitch was able to talk to Cal PERS and it sounded like Chuck still may be able to get some type of medical disability. It is contingent upon getting a medical evaluation. Chuck agreed to go for the evaluation next Wednesday, I believe. It would be with he same doctor that had started the process a year or so ago. He believes that with documentation from the doctor, Chuck may qualify for a medical disability. Which leads me to information that Illa passed on; many mortgages have a clause whereby if a mortgage holder is deemed to have a medical disability their mortgage payments would be made similar to personal disability insurance. I don’t know the status of Chuck’s loan. Anyway, I’ll pass this on to Mitch also.

He has also made calls to Chuck's mortgage lender to see just where he stands on the process to stop the foreclosure. They were to call back Thursday.

So, as it stands, Mitch is making good progress, even though he is having to take time off from work. Chuck has quite a few bills that must be brought up-to-date and that is another thing that Mitch is trying to ascertain, just how much Chuck has that is outstanding. I beleive Lueria raised a good point. There are costs, and there will be costs incurred. If we all chipped in some I'm sure Mitch would put it towards solving this situation. He is doing all the legwork to try to take care of the bills. I'm afraid if too many people are involved in it physically, it will cause Chuck to rebell to the whole situation and not want to be helped by anyone. Mitch is a good conduit.

If you want to call Mitch, here's his number. 916-879-5296.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds better than I had hoped. Not as we might want,still, there IS a chance for things to be better and that is better than expected.
When we can we will send funds to help.

Sandi Hooper said...

Mitch is doing good work, and everyone's prayers are working too. Keep up the good work!

Peter said...

Come to think of it, my blood pressure went up with my hyper-thyroid (Graves disease). Not that high though. I lot 25 pds with it too. I doubt Chuck could spare that much. Tremors is the most obvious of symptoms; I couldn't hold a glass of water without it spilling.

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful that Mitch is there for Chuck...I really had a feeling that Chuck would not react well to a lot of us getting into his private life. He has always seemed to be a private person. I am all for helping out monetarily. Jim, Sandy it seems like we could all chip in what ever we could afford and it would benefit better than nothing. I would trust Mitch to determine where to put the funds. Please keep me up on when and how I can contribute. Sandy, if it is the right timing I will be glad to pick Chuck up for the reunion, if he is up to it...or maybe he would feel closer to Ben and Illa and I could take him as far as their house or any combination thereof. Just some thoughts on the idea. This might be the time in Chuck's life where he will come to realize that we are there for him...sometimes that means to give him the space he needs and sometimes that means to help the person or people who can help him the best. Thank heavens for Mitch. Love you all very much.

Anonymous said...

Glenda, good words there. I felt (and still do), a bit confused and guilty myself. I want to help but the cancer and Illa's stuff have drained us financially....., yet I want so much to help him if I can. Yet I have to be realistic and think of and take care of our kids too.
I wrote him a letter and maybe he will at least know I (we) , are thinking of him.