Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ben still here

Well, they have taken Ben off the discharge list for today. Going to take it one day at a time. He is still not tolerating food. Going to try to start him out on baby food. He is running a low grade temp when I got here last night.

Sometime over the weekend, when changing the bags, one of the nurses managed to glue the two drain holes shut, building stuff up and pushing it out the incision again. They had to be changed again last night and at least I was there to tell them how to do it right. I just hope they were able to get the glue out of the holes.

He is really getting weak and his back hurts him alot. He is now starting to get migraine headaches. Now he says he understands how I feel when I get one. I don't know if they are starting to treat the temperature thing or not. I have a lot of digging to do today and some @$$ kicking to do. I can't believe the incompetence of some of these nurses. I believe that all of them should be trained in the care of colostomies, not just certain ones and I am making sure the Administration gets told that today when I talk to Ben's Case Manager. I like to think I am pretty easy going about things but I really need to speak up about this and tackle it head on. You have to pick your fights in life and I guess this is going to be one of them.

So our travel plans are put on hold for the time being. It will depend on how he is doing how soon we will go. I may just head him over there as soon as he is released instead of taking him home for a few days first. He wants to go to the beach so bad. I have let my Boss know that I may go there first instead of coming to work. She says that is fine. I just have to call her to let her know so she can cover my shift. I told her I may only have 24 or less hours notice and she said that was ok. They have been expecting that I would want some time off when he is released so they are prepared. Which I think is really cool. Cindy lost her mom this summer and even tho they had been expecting it for the last couple of years, she said it was still a shock so she knows how I feel and how things can turn quickly.

So will give more info when I know it. Just know that we love you all and thank you all for your prayers and thoughts and for the help you all have given. I know I don't say it enough but Thank You!!!!!!

Love Ben and Illa

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Illa, we'll keep praying. What your saying reminds me a bit of "friendly fire"; it's bad enough to be wounded by the enemy, but when it's those who are suppose to cover your back, it seems even worse. The health care system is full of these kinds of things. I remember being treated when our family live in Mexico back in the '80z, I thought, "boy these Mexican hospitals sure are backward". Welllll, I've lived a bit longer, now I find that just about everything in the medical field, except for a few procedures, and a few people are substandard; at least lower than what we are often led to believe. So, what do we do? Just what your doing - we FIGHT for life, pray, and when we've done everything we can, rest in the Lord's comfort. We love you sis, may the Lord give you strength. Peter and Karen

Dick said...

i dont know what to say here. You just keep giving those people hell Illa. keep them on their toes and dont let up. it really shows your love for Ben.
i really think that a majority those places have one thing in mind $$$$$$. and boy do they get it. the longer they keep a patient in there the more they can suck the money out of the family. there are "some" that really care. But, they are few and far between. if it wasnt for you who knows how many mistakes could of beeen fatal
It makes me think that when i start getting really sick ill save myself alot of grief and just take a long walk off a short pier. after all whos going to give a crap.
anyway know that im thinking about you guys alot and that i love you even more.

Anonymous said...

boy Illa I do know what your dealing with. I've been there and know how they are just pill pushers and don't know their business and I' be had to show them also. Keep kicking as you are, so glad you are there to check them out not just phone contact as they don't tell you, covering their butts. I have seen what takes place, the places are not healing places anymore. Love Lili

Anonymous said...

Good grief, what a bunch of nit wits, don;t they know you guys have been through enough. I am so glad Ben has you to fight for him but please take care of yourself too... I love the emails you send, I have so much respect and admiration for you, I don't know if I could be as strong and positive. I pray that God will continue to strengthen you. I love you. Bonnie

Jim said...

I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to be in a hospital, and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to work in a hospital.
We're thinking of you,
Love, Jim & Sandi

Anonymous said...

Today I got him to eat a little. Just a few spoonfuls but at least it was more than water. I even went to Taco Bell and got one of those Fruitista's, Strawberry and Cream. He had been wanting to try one of them. It was very sweet and rich but good. He did take two swallows. Drank some Peach juice off the peaches. Will try it again tomorrow. Ate one spoon of Rice and Banana cereal. Tomorrow will try two or three. He tolerated it pretty well today. It looks like most of his gagging and throwing up is from the phglem in the throat.

He still has the migraine and the back pain. He got an air matteress tonight so hopefully that will help.

I hope my complaining helped today. I talked to the Case Manager and told her what we were upset about and , she said that she would research and find out who was working over the weekend and which one did the bag changes and then talk to the wound care team and let them know the nurses need more in=service on the care of wounds and the materials., We shall see. I also talked to the wound care team when they came to do Ben's wounds and told them what had happened. The ladies do an awesome job. They made sure everything was cleaned out. They are also now aware they need to do more in=service teaching as it just isn't sticking or the nurses just rush thru it. It is a shame as they do such a great job to have someone come along and mess it all up. The incision looks like it is closing well. They said that they wished they had been flies on the walls last night when I tackled the nurses changing the bags and told them they were doing it wrong. I shouldn't have to stand over them to make sure things are done right. Not just the way we want them done.

I was afraid about what the Case Manager would say about my bringing in food for Ben to start out on but she did not get upset and when she heard what he was given for his meals, she said I was right to complain about it and try to get something more suitable to start out on. Could have been lip service, you can never tell.

Still I wish he would eat more but I do understand his fear about his guts spilling out like last time. One step at a time.

Ben can't get on the internet anymore as they closed down his access. I guess they did that as they thought he was being discharged. I don't know if they will restart it or not. Have to ask tomorrow. One hurdle at a time. I think I am starting to trip over them now.

Well, bed time so will post again tomorrow. Good night everyone.

love Ben and Illa

Anonymous said...

And yes Dick, we give a crap about what happens to you. DON'T YOU EVER FORGET THAT!!!!!!!!!

Love Ben and Illa

Peter said...

Thanks Illa, and it should also be noted. The crabs would care too, since they would be dining on Dick if he did so.

Anonymous said...

Illa, you go girl!!!!! But I think they should start paying you for all the work you do.
I guess it is like everything in this world, it only takes a few idiots in this world to make the good ones look bad. You just hope those idiots are not anywhere near when it comes to our loved ones. You are so awesome Illa. BJL

Jim said...

Yeh, Dick we do care. I don't think the crabs would care though!! The crabs probably wouldn't like him since he doesn't like crabs or seafood.

So, crap crap crap crap crap crap........
Jim

Anonymous said...

Glad that dad's tolerating that food better. When he gets out if you guys head straight over to the coast just let me know. I've got things held down here at the home front.

Uncle Dick, I'd sure care if you took that long walk. I can understand the sentiment (guilty of the thought when and if I ever make it to such a state... already kicked my own rump... which looks really weird). But don't do it.