Friday, September 21, 2007

But Seriously:

Being the worst offender kidding around about this, you can now tell by the way I spelled the title that I'm being serious now. We make light of this issue, and I think we should, however, a couple years back, after Ben's issues, Jim has admonished us all to think seriously about getting these colonoscopys. It's not something we want to take so lightly that we forget to take care of ourselves; early detection of precancerous abnormalities is critical. This latest round of talks about this has convinced me I should have it done again. Suzie brings up a point that might show some of the problems with getting it done: While men tend to be big babies about going to the doctor, women just get tired of all this kind of stuff, so many put it off for that reason.

One more thing; I know none of us want to be the proverbial band of old people with nothing to talk about but our health and various and sundry operations, but....... I think it's time we get some updates on current health issues. It would be good to know where everyone is at, so we know how to pray for one another. You can make it dry and concise as follows, so I'll start.
Peter: I'm still having Hyper-thyroid issues. The doc says I have 25% chance of coming out of it. I tried getting off meds, but went back to all the crazy symptoms that I had before - so back to meds. Oh Well, it aint that bad anyway.
Karen: After fracturing her vertebra(l1) She's still using a walker around the house. Apparently she did some soft tissue damage that is taking a very long time to heal. What complicates it more is her Fibromyalgia. However, she is much better, and expect, in a few months to back to where she was.
Ok, next

Dick:
since nobody else is going next.
1. high colestrol --simvistatin
2. type 2 diabetis -- glipizide, watching carbs, moderate exercise im walking 3-5 times a week for about an hour at a time. 3 -5 miles. depending on pace.
3. hepatitis C. Dr. took blood samples this week to find out what genotype and at what stage. 3 more weeks to find out what
level its at.
Dr. says my ideal weight should be 165. ya right!! ill go as far as 180 and see.going in on Monday for a colonoscopy. more on that later when the ALIENS GET THE RESULTS FROM THE HOME WORLD.
update- 10 small polyps were removed.

when it rains it pours.

Jim:
10 lbs. overweight
Cholesterol 204 (normal range for me is 100-200 mgl/dl) I've been eating Quaker Oats three days per week since last spring.
I hurt my back working in the woods in a climbing accident in '85 and have recurring problems about once a year for a week.
When I did have my colonoscopy, I had 4 small polyps removed.
I take vitamins, but no prescriptions.
I particpate in some form of exercise every day (minimum 20 minutes).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know big brother .. I agree. I tried once to get us to discuss our health issues and our mental health issues. These things run in families, cancer, diabeties, thyroid issues, mental health .. etc. For the sake of our kids we need to discuss these things. We were not raised together where we are aware of such stuff. When the Dr. ask me if my family has this or that .. I have to say .. I don't know, I was adopted.

So yes, let's talk about it. I am in the business of taking care of broken lives. People, who at all ages, are sick and need someone else to take care of their daily needs. It's sad and scary. We all hope we get through this life healthy and able. But we need to be aware and we need to know, something can happen at any time that makes us ' unable'.

What my goal is .. is to stay healthy as long as possible. Being aware and like you say, early prevention.

We know we are prone to the weakness of cancer cells in us. I had it at 17. I was/am sure that it returns at some point because it is a cell that spreads inside of each of us. It can be arrested and stopped but can come out again somewhere else or later. I've been lucky ( blessed ) that mine has not reacurred. Mine was treated in a natural way to actually kill all the bad cells. It almost killed me, but I have no indication of it since. The place in my back does get stingy at times and sometimes tender to the touch. But to tell you the truth, if I get it again .. I'll die of it for lack of health coverage to take care of it. I will not allow my family to be in debt at my demise. So cancer is a fear and reality in our family. I try to take very good care of myself. That's all I can do.

I have high blood pressure. (I know Ben, probably because I am so high strung and onery.) Normal for me is 160/86 .. or so. At times it can go as high as 190/ 100 + . But for the last couple years I have been working on trying to relax. My life is pretty high pressure. So I am moving all day and drinking coffee like a drug to keep me going. I have actually worried about strokes since taking care of so many stroke victims.

Strokes are no joke. If they just killed, that would be ok, but they ruin bodies, lives ! and oh my are stroke victims ever mad at life.

So watch the coffee, sugar and weight! Eat good, run, laugh, enjoy life .. don't live on coffee and slow down .. good advice from someone who does none of the above, huh? Well actaully some of it, I am enjoying life and trying to slow down.

My daughter has a bad thyroid and all my kids suffer from mood disorders. So do I, but I so long ago learned all I could about it and it is totally manable without meds. One of my daughters and her girls ( 2 ) take antideppresants. Chardo was off the charts hyper, total manic/depressive. But that was before the medical profession realized how seroius a problem it was in the young or admitted it was hereditary. If I had had the proper help for Chardo ( the ifs ) ..

Two of my grandkids are hyper. ADDHD. No meds as of yet. It zombie's them and I can't stand that. It drives moms and teachers crazy, but ADDHD is manageable if you educate yourselves.

My kids and I all suffer a weakness to the back. I have fractures in two of my lower dics. My kids all inherited my back. For one reason of another they all have back issues. Thank goodness for a chiropractor in the family. He's kept me together for years, even after I was declared 33% disabled due to my back injury years ago. I can work harder and longer then any 22 year old .. or have been up till this year; just getting tired now working 16 full out hours a day 7 days a week.

So all in all I am quite healthy, till I keel over and die I guess. Cause sorry BRO .. but I can't just go out and get these tests with no coverage, anyway. I take my blood tests for too much life insurance ( so I won't leave my family nothing ) that tells me I'm healthy and my yearly women's things, that's about it. Any more then that .. if you don't have insurance do you really want to know you have a tumor or something worse?

Now diabeties scares me. That is a slow killer and the way we all eat .. anyone can get it. AND it runs in families. But you can also change your eating lifestyle easy and take your own blood .. it never has to get any worse if you find out you might have it .. unless you refuse to make changes.

I have cared for people who were dying, way gone and turned their lives around just through nutrition. But like smoking, drinking and drugs .. food is an addiction and you have to want change. And never doubt it .. diabeties is about how you eat!

So that's my take on health. Nutrition is always the key to internal prevention. Beware of meds and educate your selves on any issues that you are facing or that run in families ! Don't just run to the Dr. Dr. KILL PEOPLE !! Haven't you heard! LOL >>

Peter said...

Thanks Suzie. We'll probably hear from Dick after the aliens are done with him. Ok, Ben, Illa. What's happening with you? Anyone else?

Anonymous said...

WELL, I did have a whole lot of stuff typed to post but lost it all!! Dag nab it. will try again. Illa

Anonymous said...

Going to try this again. Third times a charm or so they say. I have always wondered just who (They) are.

Ben is doing well. Tolerating his new medicine pretty well. He is keeping busy. We are remodeling and finishing the house. We have put in a tub/shower door in the second bathroom. Built a stove pad (granite) for the pellet stove which will have brick paneling above it and wired it for power. We are adding some woodwork trim to the walls and ceiling to look like wood beams, painting, put in a glass top range, wall board in the kitchen (washable), TV shelf in MB, and are painting the whole house. Have gotten 3 1/2 rooms done. Have half a dozen projects going all at different stages of completion.

Ben has an extra lower vertabre which Teresa inherited. He also has an extra ureter on the left side from the kidney to the bladder. He has weird little toes on both feet which both of the kids inherited. His last colonoscopy a year ago he had 2 polyps and they were clear.

I had a whole lot of other stuff that I was going to post but kept loosing it so will try this little bit. Maybe I will remember the rest and post it later.

We are doing fine. The kids were down here for the weekend Teresa, BJ, and the grandkids. Adam is still out on a fire. Could be back in a week or maybe 4. All depends. At least he is busy. They took back a bunch of stuff from the garden. It was a good thing as it froze last night (9-23) and zapped the zuchinni pretty good. I am healing up well from surgery. Still tired and have to watch what I lift but otherwise I am here. Can't get rid of me. Love and Light to all and may you be as Blessed as we are. We Love You. Hey Chuck, Where are you?? Ben & Illa