Saturday, September 29, 2007

Got Endorphins???????????????

I’ve been thinking about this for the past week. Like I told Peter, as long as you're thinking, you may as well think big, or in this case, long. Last weekend I had some fairly strenuous exercise. Now, don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t running a 20K or playing basketball all afternoon. I’m referring to the 6 mile hike Sandi and I took, followed by cutting and loading a pickup load of wood by myself. Yes, I worked up a sweat. Yes, I was tired. But the odd thing was that I haven’t felt that invigorated in a long time. No legal or illegal drugs, no alcohol. Maybe it was a sense of dementia setting in; after all, I did go skinny-dipping on the way home too.

No, I think it was the endorphin production that my body was experiencing. Now, I’ve heard peripherally about endorphins, but don’t know a whole lot about the subject. I can look back and see where I have experienced feelings of euphoria and yet calmness. Whenever I go for a hike in the woods, it is for the most part, as Sandi would term it, “like the Bataan Death March.” Which, I must disagree with, but I do enjoy just going, and, do push myself, but it’s all in the name of enjoyment. And, in a certain sense, that I don’t understand, almost a crazed addiction. I crave that feeling. I want to see, to experience, to be part of the natural world. Getting out in the woods affords me an opportunity to a small degree, the ability to “scratch that itch.” I, like John Denver, experience a 'Rocky Mountain High' from pushing myself. Now, John Denver's song may have emanated from oxygen deprivation or possibly some really good 'stuff.' Or, he could have been experiencing endorphins at their best!

The release of endorphins lowers the blood pressure, a major indicator in heart disease, and has even been implicated in the fight against cancer. Also, endorphins are best known to those who exercise a lot, and give rise to what is known as the 'runner's high.’ The release of endorphins also has been found to lower blood pressure, a major cause of heart disease. Evidently, they’re released whenever there is a certain amount of pain involved. Maybe though, that is the key; to encourage the release of endorphins while staying just outside of the pain or injury range. Whenever I lift weights I have this same good feeling, because whenever I’m done, I feel great. Weightlifting’s purpose is to microscopically tear muscle tissue to grow back as increased muscle mass.

I found that endorphins are a class of neurotransmitters produced by the body and used internally as a pain killer. This class of compounds are similar in their action as opiates, attaching to some of the same receptors in the brain. Now, I haven’t taken opium, but I have to believe that there are similar reactions to endorphins and opium. They are a strong analgesic, and thus are the body's own built in pain-killer, and, the best thing, give a pervasive sense of happiness.

I guess the good news is that while I can’t experience a sense of euphoria from exercise all the time, chilies can also release these compounds without too much strain or stress on the bod. I know, I know, too much thinking.

Jim

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jim, thanks for the education on Endorphines. I've always liked them too. Mostly because of their name, kinda like Ewoks, it a name very cute and cuddley. Until your post I knew nothing about them. My knowledge was due to my limited experience with them. When I fell off a high roof and broke both my legs, I experienced zero pain. That is until the paramedics moved me, then the cute little Endorphines deserted me, scattering to other parts of my body. Apparently Endorphines can be spooked easily. This may account why you can't experience Euphoria every time you exercise. Try making sure there are no paramedics around when you exercise.

The funny thing about Endorphines, they don't like to be restricted, I don't know how big they are, but it seems they have to have sufficient numbers to work their pain killing magic. for instance, when I hit my thumb with a hammer,it hurt far worse than when I fell of the roof! I figure they can't squeeze into small spaces. I imagine this is very frustrating to them, since it appears they are able to show a high degree of compassion.

Anonymous said...

Ill take endorphines over moraphine any day.