Sunday, September 9, 2007

Got a moment between dishwashing +++

So I guess I will have to get on here to know what goes on with the 'original' family.

All is well. I am really very busy running two households. It's almost as much work as raising my kids and working double shifts to pay the bills. So I'm actually used to this kind of work; however .. now my feet burn after I get off of them, my back hurts, I have to sleep on a special little flat pillow or my neck goes out, I look in the mirror and see some old woman looking back at me. So I go into the bathroom wash my face with cold water, put heavy oily cream all over my face and neck. Pull my hair into some kind of order, put on a little make-up and look again ! OK .. it's all good, that was just a night mare of what lurks beyond the edges when I allow myself to feel as tired as my body probably is. So I pull my shoulder up and back, my belly, that tries to have more control, in, and get back to work; because in that few minutes it took to pull myself together; mind you not time for a shower, I forgot Annie was still sitting on the toilet trying to go, the phone rang off the hook demanding my attention, my gr sons blew in the back through the house and out the front ( literally ) Chuck wandered out the front door and is trying to escape and Mary is standing outside the bathroom door with just her bra held up to her chest. She can't get it on and is waiting for me to come help her. But at least it's only 11 a.m. I've gotten Annie, Chuck & Mary up and fed. Gave the meds to everyone, cleaned the kitchen, changed the sheets, ( it's sheet day Sunday ) did most the laundry, finished the medical reports and mars, dusted, watered ... now it's almost time to start lunch and feed the crew and then toilet and get them down for naps.

Some poor young man called due to my interest in refinancing my house. I try really hard to be a Christian in every opportunity that comes up. But what the heck are these peolle doing calling on a Sunday? And why is it so hard to understand when I say NO I do not have time to speak to you? How do you not get rude and say ..'hey dude some people can't talk on the phone all day and do their jobs too.' So he says, when are you off or able to discuss your refinance/I tell him try to catch me Tues afternoon at 2-3. Maybe I can talk to you and by the way .. I really can't take the time to tell you this, I've spent far to long on the phone already. Rememeber Annie, she's still on the pot.

So when I start forgetting little ole ladies trying to move their bowells are still on the pot after checking on them 6 times .. and forget one of those times wasn't to get her off /// it's time for me to slow down, what do you think?

Hey people really do trust me with their loved ones. And I do a good job. What I wonder is how does the government really exspect us to work ( manditory ) 5/24 hour shifts in a row, pay is the equavalint of $2.30 and hour ? and give quality care? and you know me; I bounce off the walls with energy even when I'm tired. What of those who aren't as energetic?

Recently the Adult Foster Care Providers won the right in the house to join the union. I am not pro union at all, but we are one of the few businesses basically not recognized as a full on business who are lisenced under the regulations of it being run as a home/business. I call bull dookie on that. I am going to be on the board that goes to the state and demands change. Like I have time.

I did hire resident mangers. But betweeen their personal lives and the issues around learning to run my home MY WAY .. I am working harder and more now then before. So I am letting them go and have another person in mind. Wish me luck.

There's other things I'd like to do .. like HAVE A LIFE !!!

My care -givers wanted 4 days off. So that puts me on a schedule of working from the 5th - 15th without any breaks 24/10. It's all good, I can handle it; but I don't want to neglect my new man and home. So I arrange to have a sub care-giver come in from 5-8pm for 3 of these days, maybe more. I rush home to be ' the woman ' and wash some dishes at my other home, hang some laundry and make my man supper. He is so sweet, he would happily hang the laundry and he does supper very well. He bought me one of those outside clothes lines for my BD ! But he is the only one that gets to use it; no fair. So I looked forwards to hanging laundry out to dry. I told him when I am home; I want to be the "housewife" ! Then I rush back to put the residents to bed. Oh he comes over to sleep, but it is as an experience keeping two households. Today, my sweet Mary, who usually wakes me at 7 a.m. if I am not up, let me sleep till 8:30. I don't think I've done that in years.

I could write a book on life at a AFH. Maybe I will. But as I've said a million times over the last couple years .. I feel so blessed with the life God guided me to, the man he dropped from heaven for me and the children He trusted me with. And even for my little AudiTT I wanted for years and now have ... that can barely fit my two dogs, my groceries and my grand daughter who comes to work with me 3 days a week. I think I need a bigger car!!!

The other day My Queen Pit-Bull Roxie got stuck trying to climb under the steering wheel to get to the floor on her side. She looked at me with unbleiving eyes. Like mommmy .. 'what are you thinking pouring me into this mini car under a car seat having to share this little space with a pesky little mini yappy dog, who yelps when I lay on her' ! What was I thinking buying this car, just becuase it was my fantasy and I could finally have one ! Careful what you ask for .. you might get it! Those words run through my head often after I stop on the way to work at the store to pick up a few needed things and end up with 8 bags of groceries and head to the parking lot where I see my mini car sitting there with my mini dog, my gr daughter and my very thick pit bull sitting there, wondering where in the world do I stuff these .. I constantly forget I forgot to be practical and probably still need to be driving a mini van instead of a mini car.

Yeah ; life is good and all the chaos is forgotten when I climb into bed with my great big safe man and into the folds of his 12 foot wing span. No matter if I have eaten or forgotten or do not take time to eat ... he keeps me stocked in what has become my addiction, my comfort and my reward for the day I've had ... a DARK CHOCOLATE MILKY WAY candy bar ! Life is good .. Thank you God ! for my blessings, my life, my man, my children, my family , my residents, my cars, my houses, my pets ( Mama Kitty, that's her name, had 8 kittens this time. ) Even the spiders, I've getting used to and Dark Chocolate Milky ways! I really have not forgotten with all the MINE .. it all is on loan; well all but the milky ways.

Outside of that nothing much going on.

Love ya all !

3 comments:

other said...

I'm really glad I'm not totally crazy like my littlest sister! Wow, what a life. We've only had a taste, taking care of Karen's grandma a while before she died. Lots of funny stories, lots of sad ones. And she was only one old lady! Karen and I have only done it enough to really be thankful and appreciate what Suzie is doing. I don't forget Jim and Sandi, Jack either, and their labor of love with Helen before she went on to heaven. I think I better stop complaining when a customer comes in and interupts my work. Peter

Anonymous said...

WOW, Suzie, I am so glad to hear how your life is going but I think I better lay down! You made me tired! I've been thinking of you and will keep you in prayer.

Jim said...

I agree with Glenda, I'm exhausted just reading about your day(s). It takes a VERY special person to be a caregiver. I admire anyone who does it.
The reflection on your life is great. We all have much to be thankful for.
Jim