Sunday, May 24, 2009

Congratulations, Glenda!

I was very happy to be able to go to SF with Dick to watch Glenda get her Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Systems from University of San Francisco. I’m still not exactly sure what that is or what she can do with it, but I know she worked really long and really hard for it and owes a lot of money for it. All for the pleasure of being able to put B.S. behind her name.

I’m sure she made a lot of friends in college staying up late at night studying. In fact, she saw one of them at the graduation. All that studying looked like it made her shorter, and him taller. Also, now that she has her degree in hand she’ll make a lot more friends of the Alumni Association since they’ll be looking for new prospective willing donors.

Lydia, came from Phoenix, and Carmen and Roger, friends from Clovis, CA, were there. We all piled into her nine-passenger station wagon and headed to the graduation. You’ve never lived until you’ve been in San Francisco with an immigrant driving. You would think she owns the entire city the way she takes such liberties with the driving suggestions (laws). Actually, I think she’s a really safe driver since she hasn’t had any fender bender accidents in the entire time she’s lived there, and most important, didn’t have one while I was sitting in the kiddy seat in the back with Lydia. Hmmmm….maybe I am the youngest one. Dick recommended to her that if her present job is eliminated that she get a job driving a taxi cab, or maybe, better yet, training taxi cab drivers.

But, you haven’t experienced San Francisco until you’ve sat in the rear facing seat and seen The City looking out the back window watching oncoming traffic pulling up behind you with crazed grins on their faces going 40 mph while careening down the steep streets….and they stop inches from your toes. If you notice in the pictures that I have less hair just remember that I left Crescent City with a full head of hair. It was only after we rode with Glenda that I experienced this loss.

When we arrived early at St. Ignatius Church, where the ceremonies were held, Glenda gave told us that we could ‘probably’ go into the church through a side door and get good seats. The trouble is she forgot to ask the people inside the church if it was OK. It wasn’t. Now I understand that must have been the reason that there wasn’t a handle on the outside. I had to use the tips of my fingers to get a hold of the edge of the door. I thought it was kind of odd that there was a really nice wooden door there but no door knobs. I just thought they had spent all their money on gold leaf for the steeple and they ran out of money for knobs.

Jack London must have been in SF on a day very much like the day of the graduation when he said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." It was cold. I’m just glad that they didn’t have an outdoor graduation. I was really glad to get back to Crescent City and feel warmth again.
Jim


Turn your sound on and maximize for your ultimate viewing pleasure.

2 comments:

lueria said...

thanks for sharing. I wish I was there. hugs aunt glenda good for her.

Sandi Hooper said...

Glenda, I'm so proud of you, so happy for you. You've worked so hard for this goal, and you are an inspiration for us all. Big hugs come with this little note.

love.