Saturday, January 17, 2009

Attack of the Killer Crabs

Tonight the Adin Fire Department was having their annual Crab Feed to raise funds. It was actually the second night, and so last night alone they did really well. I'm not sure how much they raised tonight in plate tickets, but the tickets for the 50/50 raffle pulled in over $800.

We had salad, bread, crab, and cake for dessert. It was Mom and my first intimate meeting with whole crab, a very nice gentleman and his wife sitting across from us had to teach us how to open the ornery buggers. Both of us had two servings of salad before we even got to see the crabs... so it was quite the epic battle.

Yes, we wore bibs. Crackers were not provided so I chucked my dignity and ripped in bare handed (quite the comic sight). I won my war, mom had to have reinforcements to help in her battle.

I was very pleased to see so many faces that I knew, and to see the EMS helping out, the local Sheriff (or was it one of the deputies?), the 4H-ers, and other students from the High School, not only the Fire Department people doing the cooking and passing out of food. Mom plans to tell Bieber Fire Department how Adin's feed went when she goes to their meeting.

I should have taken the camera and gotten a picture of the guy in the crab hat selling raffle tickets. Trust me, it just fit him, and definitely was an attention getter. >_> Ok, I admit I would have worn it too if I was selling raffle tickets. Where else would one wear such a cool hat?

Ok, the beach... I could think of pranks to pull...

Dinner was so good, we had to bring home extra. There is now a crab in the fridge, waiting to strike with it's deadly deliciousness. Oh... my belly... It hurts... Too much food... I hear it mocking me!

~Teresa, who is about to explode as the Killer Crab gets its evil revenge...

4 comments:

Peter said...

Dear Teresa; a very good description of what sounded to be a fun night. I have to tell you though, I feel for the little sea going cockroaches; one moment they are the ones feasting on a fish head, the next they are being drawn towards a bright light, only to be cast into a tub of boiling water. I think you need more compassion in your life. I prescribe a Sponge Bob square Pant marathon. Love you sweetie. Uncle Peter

Anonymous said...

It was a great evening. I had forgotten it was this weekend. I had gotten one ticket as I was the only one here. When I was reminded at work today about it, I had to call to make sure I could get a ticket for Teresa. It was spendy but well worth it just for the companionship. It felt strange going out without Ben but it was nice and alot of people that he knew was there. Besides it was for a good cause. I ate more than I have for a long time.

Now it is time to go to bed as I have to work again tomorrow. Some things are looking up and getting settled finally.

You all take care. I love you all.

Illa

Jim said...

Teresa,
Eating crabs, but for a good cause, good on ya'. Good play by play of the experience. Now you need to come over here and have crab. If the crab were good there you need to taste them right out of the water here in CC. And, I dispatch them before they're put in the boiling water. Even Peter may enjoy it.

Sandi and I went on a date yesterday to Grants Pass. One of the ladies at the store that we stopped at said that they hadn't seen the sun for a week because of the fog. By contrast we haven't seen a cloud or fog in two weeks here as it's been clear and sunny. Oh, darn........

Jim

P.S. All are welcome to come to CC. We have the little apartment available that is avaiable to stay in.

Anonymous said...

We will take you up on that sometime in March I think. Joe expects us to stay at least one night with them. We will make it a 4 day trip as that is what I have off. If finances are good maybe even take off a day or so extra. It would be nice.

Love illa