Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tai Chi Fans

I recently made the investment in some goods to help me learn a particular form of Tai Chi that I have been wanting to learn for a long time, the Fan Form. I've taken classes on the barehand form of the Yang Family long form, I've read the Classics, several recent books, have been working (very) slowly on learning the sword form (even the wood practice swords are heavy), but until recently I never was able to find the proper training fans or a video.

A teacher versed in the fan style would be awesome, but making do with what's available...

Now, when I watched the training video regarding the fan form, which also included several qigong exercises, Athena decided that she wanted to watch with me and then exercise along with the video. She was very pleased to recognize some of the stances from her illustrated child's Tai Chi book, which emphasized the animal derivations of the stances, the history, and how good exercise is for the body. Then Merlin walked by the door and saw us practicing with fans and doing the exercises, and joined us.

The children are very excited about this. Now if I can just keep them moving slow... And given the health benefits of Tai Chi, I rather hope they stick with it. I know I certainly feel it when I don't do my exercises for a while and notice a vast improvement when I'm good and do them regularly.

Maybe later this year we can get pictures or a short video of the kids and I doing this together outside where we'll all have room without having to stack up... if their interest lasts that long.

I love how the family is so active and makes time for stuff, it's really cool to read what all of you do for enjoyment, exercise, and mental health.

~Teresa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teresa, I have been watching people here in the City do Tai Chi...it looks like an exercise I would enjoy. Where did you get the video for it? Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Lueria, I have meant to call you so many times to let you know that Verna called me for a phone interview. I think she would have made a good friend if I could move to Portland. I really appreciate you trying to arrange a job for me...keep it up! This time it did not work out because I am too old for her boss. That doesn't bother me because it is a fact of life one has to deal with. I will try to call you this weekend. Love ya.

Teresa Garcia said...

I searched Amazon...

here's a direct link:
http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Tai-Chi-Fan-Dance/dp/B001DSYQXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1233894205&sr=8-1

The Gaiam Tai Chi Fan Dance kit includes a training DVD and the iron fan (very sturdy, I'm very pleased).

If you look at the bottom of the page, there's a list of other stuff as well. You can order bamboo or plastic fans that open easily, get the ones that have fabric, paper doesn't usually open easily enough so that young children can participate as well (or those that need to build up fingers and wrists). Merlin's using a plastic small one, but I've got offical dance fans coming for them.

36 full form (fan style)
http://www.amazon.com/Forms-Tai-Yang-Style-Family/dp/B000J1K8YI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=generic&qid=1236360871&sr=1-3

18 short form (fan style)
http://www.amazon.com/Short-Form-Yang-Style-Family/dp/B000J1K78U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=generic&qid=1236360871&sr=1-1

Peter said...

Teresa, I'm looking forward to that video of you and the kids doing Tai Chi together; it's like watching a dance when more than one does it together. I'm not a fan of the religious components of Tai Chi or Yoga, Kung Fu, but I feel all have a lot to offer with their exercises. But I'm open to discussion. Love you

Sandi Hooper said...

I like Tai Chi, I think it's beautiful to watch.

I'm trying to learn the most easy basic form, and I think I may be just a little too old of a dog to learn this new trick. But it's fun.

Dick said...

Sandi, remember dog years are times 7. your not THAT old :)