Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ancestry Painting

For those of you wondering about the genetic composition of the Garcia family, below is a diagram derived from a DNA test I took with a company called: 23andMe. This particular data is based upon autosomal DNA, which is a mix of genetic information passed down from both parents. Bear in mind that this data also includes my mom's family's data. This data represents geographic origins of one's ancestors prior to intercontinental migration (i.e. before airplanes, ships, trains, etc. allowed ready migration from one's original homeland).



What this data indicates is that I am predominately of a European origin (95%) with a minor contribution of Asian genes (5%). The African markers are considered genetic remnants from ancient times (+/-1%). The "Asian" markers are actually American Indian (Amerind) markers, as genetically Amerind populations are derived from E. Asian. I posed the question to 23andMe's geneticists of what 5% Asian means in practical terms and they stated that it likely indicates either a single Great-Great-Grandparent of Amerind ancestry or multiple Great-Granparents of mixed Amerind-European ancestry, with the latter being the more likely in my opinion (based upon genealogical research). My mom's family has no known Amerind ancestry, so the Amerind ancestry comes from the Garcia family, which appears to be a Mestizo mixture of European (probably Spanish) and Amerind genes. This is a very common mixture for those of Hispanic heritage. I was, however, surprised by the low contribution of Amerind genes.

If anyone wants to hear anymore of what I have found feel free to contact me through my dad, Jim.

Enjoy,
Randy

8 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks Randy. These things always interest me. Do you happen to remember the name of that Nova program we talked about when I saw you? It speaks about the migration of man from his beginnings, from South Africa to around the world. Traced through the genetic markers on the Y Chromosome.

Anonymous said...

Yes Peter, I have seen a couple programs to that effect. I'm involved with a couple studies involving research on Y, Mitochondrial, and X DNA. It's all pretty fascinating. I find Autosomal DNA to be the most interesting because of all it can tell us, relative to the Y and mt especially which are very narrow in scope.

Teresa Garcia said...

Wow, this is really intriguing!

Peter said...

I found the name, and link for the video I spoke of with Randy. It was a National Geographic special. The science says that all races can be traces to a single source. Here's the link to the 13part Youtube collection of videos; very interesting: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Journey+of+Man+video&hl=en&emb=0&aq=-1&oq=#

Anonymous said...

The National Geographic project is called: The Genographic Project, they collaborate with the laboratories at Family Tree DNA. Here is a link to the project website. I would encourage everyone to participate.

Here are a couple other pretty good related links...
Family Tree DNA
The Sorensen Molecular Genealogy Foundation
A Y-DNA Project for the Garcia Surname

Bonnie said...

How Randy, I appreciate your study into this. All these years I have been told we have Indian (Apache)in us. It doesn't sound like we have enough to throw a arrow at. I always used that for an excuse for my temper and stuborness. Now I will have to find another excuse for it.

Rick says hi to everyone. I just got home from spending a couple days with him at our friends house near Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

According to the geneticist I spoke with at 23andMe, my 5% Amerind genes means that the previous generation of Garcia family members (my dad and my aunt's and uncle's) would have between about 7% and 13% Amerind. It's basically doubling the amount per generation going backwards, but with the Standard Deviation (or margin of error) built into the calculation. This means your dad, Bennie (my grandpa), would have been about 17%-25% Amerind. With my 5% taken into consideration, he certainly would have been no more than 30% Amerind.

other said...

so im mute? lol. what does the bottom line mean in ADHD learning problems mean? lol