Monday, October 8, 2007

Hi everyone, just got home tonight, actually, I'm home for good. I was going to quit at the end of the year but they asked if anyone was looking for a partner and Rick called in to ask about the guy, out of 5 people that responded Rick was the most compatible so I got to come home sooner. I believe God had his hand in that.
Suzy, I totally agree with you about our poor eating habits. People are very educated today about the right and wrong things to eat and how food effects our body's, but I guess it's like being told when we were kids not to do something, then of cource our mind is set on doing it anyway. It's only when we get older that we realize the damage we have done and try to undo it. Since growing up as Adventist and in the health food business we do have an advantage of knowing better but again we don't always do what is right. Then you learn that the things you thought you were doing right may also be damaging you. They complain about fat Americans but use growth hormones when feeding cattle then we eat the cow so we end up with the growth hormones in us, not to mention what they put on our veggies. We tried organic bit boy do you pay for that. Even better reason to have your own garden. We drink only distiled water because even some bottles water is bad for you. Even using a micowave sent dangerous poison into your body, one day something is good for you the next day it is going to cause cancer, go figure. And Illa why not grow corn in your living room? One of these days Rick is going to have a big garden and fruit trees, my dad and grandpa Lange loved their garden, Rick is just like them. God does bless the fruits, and veggies of your labor more ways than one.
And about the crazy traffic out there, and I don't just mean the little old ladies, why do you think I drive, (drove) a big truck with a big horn, and I use it too.
Sandi, it has to be a man thing about the mess's that why God made sure man couldn't get along without a women to clean up after him. Except maybe Dick, I remember cleaning up after you and Doug Dick. LOL Bonnie
On the subject of health, I've heard it said that if you don't smoke, or drink and you eat only healthy foods, you don't really live longer... it just seems longer. I embraced that philosophy at various reckless periods of my life and now it seems that I am dealing with blood sugar and blood pressure issues. Am finding out that one bowl full of greens does not trump a lifetime of careless eating and drinking.

Am having to adjust my standards somewhat as to what constitutes a quality life. For instance, I had this old friend who was a Greyhound bus driver... and after observing his life, I have decided that I want to go peacefully in my sleep like he did and not like the screaming passengers who happened to be riding with him at the time.

Bonnie and I have found it particularly hard to eat right while driving truck.. although an air horn does nicely in clearing little old ladies off the road. Bonnie is particularly good at this phenomenon. Exercise is very important and it appears that Jim has the edge at this time, with skinny dipping and foot watching. Keep us posted on other successful endeavors.LOL Rick

3 comments:

Peter said...

You might remember Karen and my visit to you all sometime in the early 70z (maybe '69 Suzie, when did you get married?) We made the rounds, first stopping at Hooper's hangout, then on to Portland. We then made the circuitous route to Ross Ranch. We were graciously received by all. Since we were brand new Christians we received a quick education on SDA, and 'Diet'. Especially when we joined the Elder Langes for dinner. I think they made a meat substitute called gluten. (Is that right since gluten is also used for wheat stuff???)

Anyway, I have strong memories of that time. June Lange said meat cattle were injected with female hormones, this is why "women tended to have slimmer hips" (I think the Garcia/Rouzaud girls probably were never fed meat as children). Thanks to June I'm now always checking out women's hips.

Someone told me about the documentary called 'Super size', or something like that. This fellow ate nothing but what he could get at MacDonalds. Apparently his health really deteriorated. As for me and my family, we believe in the benefits of eating good, however, eating 'bad' is a reality in our Western culture. How I handle this is by the mindset that eating 'bad' is always an exception to the rule. If I try to eliminate it entirely, I'm just fooling myself. It aint gonna happen. Kinda like a diet, attempting to go without anything sweet will ultimately fail. So, everything in moderation.

Sandi Hooper said...

Oh my goodness! I laughed right out loud about the Greyhound bus driver!!! You had me going.

I love it that you all are so health minded now. Leaves more fudge for James Dee and myself. *gentle smile*

Bonnie, I envy you that big truck with it's corresponding big horn. You go, girl!

Jim said...

It's good to hear from the both of you, although, I can tell you both have been married quite awhile as it's hard to understand whose writing unless I really concentrate. (And, for me that's really hard.)

I do think that whoever said, "Youth is wasted on the young," really hit the nail on the head. The older that I get the more often I have those "ah, ha," moments where I think, yes, that's right, why didn't I understand that years ago?" But,the answer was always staring me in the face the entire time.

Bonnie, I can just see you now, yelling out the window, "Hey, idiot, I'm not a little old lady, but I've got this great big horn , that will scare the hell out of you, and I'm not afraid to use it. Now, get the hell out of my way, or I'll blow you off the road." (Actually, I don't think that you'd yell that out the window, but I can still picture it in my mind.)

Has anyone found a trump card for poor eating habits? I'd be interested in what it is.

Now I know why I never take Greyhound, especially with old drivers. After all, what do they have to lose? That would not be my picture of heaven, staring down the yellow line of of a highway the rest of eternity, or whatever else Greyhound drivers view as nirvana, especially with screaming passengers.

By the way, foot watching is just a lazy excuse for trying to concentrate, and not be successful at it, but, it does make for some great memories. Now, skinny-dipping , that's an entirely new paradigm.

Jim