Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Phones - Highways - Internet

Who hasn't done it when they were a kid, you call a random phone number. You tell the person who picks up the phone that your from the electric company. You then ask them, "is your refrigerator running?", they say "yes"; then I'd say, "I Know, it just ran past my window" (then hang up)then there's a big "ha ha ha".

Do you remember when the Internet was once called The Information Super Highway? The reason for the name has to do with the fast, available info you can get. But maybe there is another reason it could be called that: If you are prone to be a people watcher; if human nature fascinates you, it's likely you will have noticed, like the phone, the Internet and roadways allow you to be somewhat anonymous. Like the safety of our own homes, we are more free to act in a way which reflects what's actually happening in our hearts.

There is not a one of us, that doesn't want to appear as if we are Together, well behaved, smart, righteous, and a great guy (or girl). Likewise, I think there something in us that also wants to be upfront with who we are. We get tired of pretension, tired of being someone we are not, so when the opportunity comes up, we let loose. Sometimes we express ourselves like a adolescent with crank calls; sometimes it gets ugly like road rage.

Once, I was driving along, minding my own business and an old lady pulled out in front of me, I had to step on my brakes (oh, terrible); anger quickly rushed into my brain, I stepped on the accelerator and started tailgating her. Just as suddenly, while being a total jerk, a voice in my head said, 'your not such a perfect driver yourself, you've pulled out in front of others too'. Then the voice said, ' I don't want you to do this anymore'. Well, I felt thoroughly ashamed, and changed my ways, and never have done it again. I know, your probably thinking, 'I wish God would talk to him a little more". Well your right, I'm trying to be less of a jerk everyday.

One thing helps me in this constant pursuit of moral change is, like the song says, 'God is watching us'. We're never 'really alone'. There is nothing we do that is truly anonymous. A good rule to use, if you wouldn't want your children, wife, pastor, mother, boss, to see what your doing, what your saying, or how your acting, you probably should find another way of being real. Peter Sr.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't post this but it is like the thoughts turning in my mind. To want to be and do good because you WANT to is so much easier than because we have to!!

Peter said...

Absolutely, but the reality is that we got two things going on in our beings. Like Jeckle and Hyde, sometimes we want to, sometimes we have to learn to want to, sometimes just don't want to at all. Romans 7 talks of the duel going on constantly. The scripture says, 'the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom'; Thank goodness we don't stay at 'the beginning' in anything, we're always growing to learn and understand like God thinks. Not always, but 'wanting' often requires insight into the reasons for his commands, that takes growth and development.

Jim said...

I'd change lanes.
Jim

Anonymous said...

What if this lil 'ole lady changed lanes?

Anonymous said...

Let her.

Anonymous said...

Maybe jerk to the open lane and pass her. Put her behind you, literally and figuratively!

Anonymous said...

If all else fails, find a different road that gets you to where you want to go.

Sandi Hooper said...

I think it's time to get off the highways boys and let the little ol ladies have it! We're going to be in front of you, so get just used to it! We're driving, we're old and we're dangerous!!! We've got big cars and we know how to use 'em.

Anonymous said...

Be like a duck and let it roll off your back like rain. Just walk across the road as quickly as possible.

At some point in our lives we're all the child, the grownup, the old person and God is speaking to us the entire time. The question to me, is, am I listening?
Jim