Monday, August 25, 2008

Ben Monday nite 8-85

Well, I make it. Had to take the long way around because of an accident on Hatchet Mt. A hay truck turned over and on fire.

Ben looks better tonight. I really expected to see something much worse considering how he looked when I left and how he sounded on the phone last night. He was alert for about 30 minutes and wanted some juice. As there was another person in the room, he tried a long way around to get me to go get something to eat and bring back some juice. I almost didn't understand what he was saying until I asked him right out if he wanted me to sneak him some juice. He said yeah, you can get some and forget it on the table. I did go eat and bring back some OJ and Cranberry juice. He tried about a tablespoon of each. He wanted more but I wouldn't give it to him. They are still suctioning him and I didn't want a whole lot to come up out the tube and give us away. But I don't see how they expect the stomach to absorb fluid from the stomach if they don't let him have any. All that is there is the gastric juices which is very acidic which eats the lining of the stomach when it get too strong. He seemed happier when he got to have the couple of sips. I would actually have given him a little more but the nurse came in to do his vitals. I had asked the nurse when I came in if he could have something other than ice chips and she said, no, the drs. haven't ordered anything yet. When she came in she saw the bottles in the window sill, so I made sure she saw them in my arms when I left.

He is resting better tonight. Still weak but looks more like his new normal self.

There is a storn brewing here in Redding. The wind is bad. Whipping and snapping stuff. Kind of reminds you of a tornado type wind the way it swirls and blows hard. Really rattles the windows here on the north side. It has really set off my sinuses. That is all I need.

Well, I am going to sleep now. So talk to you all later.

Thank you Dick for calling. It was good to talk to you. Thank you for everything. You are very much loved too by us. Hope things are going better for you. Are you still on your medication? I Hope it is working.

Love to everyone from both of us. Ben and Illa

2 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks again Illa for the update. I don't know how hard these are for you, but for us it is always good to hear it from you. It seems as if you have a remarkable objectivity and a good knowledge of what's happening, mixed with a dash of rebel, to deal with the docs (did you catch it from ben, or he you?).

I think I'm trading Nathan vehicles for next weekend, and if it all works, Karen and I are planning on being down there on Saturday; maybe around noonish. You'll probably be working, but your in our hearts and constant prayers.

Anonymous said...

It comes from being in the Medical field since 1973. I have taken care of many patients that were sick and dying. Then I was an EMT for a while on our Volunteer Fire Dept. Most of my calls were medical. Only two were for fire. I sort of lost the patience needed for this field when seeing most of the people using the ambulance for free rides to the hospital and not really sick. Granted they were sick but not enough to require an ambulance and to me that was taking something away from people who really might need it while it was gone. We only have two to serve our area which is really large and rural so response times can be up to an hour.

As for the Dr.s I think that comes from the treatment nurses get from the Dr. that they don't know anything about people and what happens with them. They see the patient on rounds about 10 minutes but the nurses have to care for them the rest of the time and are really the ones that have the hands on experience with the patients of what works and what doesn't.

I have always been a rebel of sorts. Always will be and am not sorry abit about flouting conventions at times. Especially at this time. But I do try to be careful of what things I flout and how much. I think Ben might still have a leak somewhere in the abdomen. Seems like there is a lot of drainage still and it looks strange. Looks to me to be pulling stuff other than draining out the flushing solution they used. At least the surgeon keeps looking at stuff. The stoma's are looking better. They did have to remove the staples that held the incision together as one was popping out and pulling everything open. They have that one stuffed with foam rubber to soak things out and keep it open to heal from inside out. I looked at it today when the wound care person changed the bandage and saw bubbles coming out from the abdomen. I had just had lunch so I didn't stay around while it was worked on. It was just toooo much. It did make me wonder about the bubbles which I will ask about tomorrow and I am usually not that squemish but today I was.

When I was studying for my EMT license we had to learn alot about the body and it functions to be able to work on an ambulance or in an ER. Didn't take the course to be a paramedic but I might again later. I have to take the EMT course again and have to take it every 2 years to keep up the learning credits. It is due again. So need to watch for college courses to start again when I can take it or it will have to wait again for another year.

Anyway, think I rambled. You all have a good night. Love to all.

Illa