Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday 8-22

I did get to eat. I got to talk to the Kitchen person that came around and she will make sure that I get a tray every time the food comes around. I also let her know that I would be gone for several days and would be back by Mon. She said to just call them if I have to come back sooner to make sure I got something. I thought that was pretty good of them.

Ben was up and moving again today. I had to prod the nurse again to get him up. I can't catch him if he falls even tho he has lost a lot of weight. He was awake longer today. I got to see both Dr.s today before noon even. They are going to remove one more tube and hopefully the NG tube if he can tolerate it being clamped. I can understand that they don't want to go thru all that again to put it down.

If they have a room to move him today or tomorrow then he will move to surgical wing. It just depends on how it all goes. Granted he will get more quiet sleep there but I don't think he will be checked as often. I also don't think they will walk him as often so everyone that goes to see him, see if he can be put in a chair for you. That way he will at least get out of bed for a little while. His little old bones look so pitiful and painful.

Remember all, the key to the room is hanging on his IV pole. Please make sure you put it back there when done with the room so I can get it when I get back. Sorry Dick but I had to lie to them and tell them that you would be in the room Sat. night. For some stupid reason they feel someone has to be there every 24 hours even tho the room is paid for. I had to let them know that Glenda would be there Sunday night. I can understand that if there was an emergency they need to know if someone would be in the room to get them out and who was there. I suppose they have a reason for their policies. When I left last week and turned in the key, the room wasn't cleaned until I came back on monday. There was no one in there on Sunday.

Anyway, the plan is when Ben gets to Surgical wing he is to be there of at least 5 more days. The surgical Dr. wants to make sure that there is no more drainage from the abdomen that doesn't go into the colostomy bags, and he wants to make sure the stomas are healing nicely. He mentioned something again about the rehab facility and that has to do with how well he gains strength and weight when they remove the other drains. He says that he will make that determination after he sees how well Ben progresses. Ben was resting quietly when I left about 12:30. Will call later to see if he had been moved and how he is doing. Love, Light and Prayers to all and let me know what you think after you get to visit him.
I talked to Ben at 9 pm abd he is doing ok. He has been moved to Surgical East Room 205. They did not try to walk him tonight just like I thought they would. Nurse thought she would let him sleep. He is happy that he is in a room where the lights are off at night. He can have the door closed so he doesn't have to listen to all the noise in the hall either. So maybe that is a good thing. He didn't say if they took out anymore tubes and I forgot to ask the Nurse. So you all have a good night and I am going to bed. Talk to you tomorrow after I talk to him in the afternoon. Illa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Illa you should be ashamed of yourself....




i dont mind you using me as a reason for keeping your room. this isnt the first time ive been used as a scapegoat.:) I will make sure that Ben gets up if he hasnt already. It sounds like he is doing really good. considering what hes been thru.


Dick

other said...

I felt really bad but there was no way that I would lose it for Glenda. It is nice to know that you have a place to go. I know that I don't really want to sleep in the car but would if it came to that. It wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it wouldn't be the last.

Thank you anyway so if someone were to ask you know what to say.

Illa

Peter said...

Hey Dick; be sure to give Ben my love. Also, remind him that Jim owes us both a dozen donuts.

Jim said...

Thanks for the update. Peter's right, I do owe the donuts and I sent in an IReport to CNN saying that Barack cost me a dozen donuts too. Remind me again, Peter, what are your favorite kind.
Jim

Peter said...

I think my favorite are Éclairs. Please don't send them in the mail! Actually I wasn't so sure of myself the last two weeks of the teasers the media was sending out. I think Hillary/Bill almost managed to pull off the second spot (that was a close one). I really wanted Hillary to get it, it would have made politics fun again.

Hey you guys, when you see Ben, please give him our love. PnK

Anonymous said...

Glad that dad is doing better. Keep going dad, so that soon you can run away when you see anyone coming with a tube.

And yes, I am eating mother... sadly, it's not doughnuts (though I did get a lemon/cheese scone yesterday). *chuckle* More than usual actually, despite still feeling quite ill.

Anonymous said...

Sat. 8- 23 I talked to Ben tonight and Suzy has been there. She was supposed to be coming back. He did get up to a chair today he said but no one walked him. Makes him sound like a dog. He might not like that comparison. He was having trouble breathing it sounded like and just conversation wore him out. He is loosing track of time but I supposed that is really to be expected especially as he likes to have the curtains closed so he can sleep.

Thank you guys for stopping to see him. He really need the interaction. Hope you have a good trip, all of you. Drive safe. Love to you all and thank you very much.

Illa