Saturday, August 30, 2008

Update from PnK- Hey try this

We got into 'hot' Redding today, after spending the night near Medford last night. We were totally exhausted since Karen and I visited with some friend we hadn't spent time with them for many years. We had some issues with them that needed sorted, so it was very stressful.

We got to see been on Saturday, but first we ran into Lueria and Rich as they were waiting for a fellow to change Ben's bandages. He had come in on his day off to change them, he broght his children with him and they waited for him.

The Doc who did the surgery came in later. After he checked Ben out, he said he was doing good and seem pleased with the junk that was I coming out of Ben (cleaner). he said Ben was getting plenty of nourishment from the drip. He told Ben that he needed to get up and walk.

I took Karen back to the motel room after awhile, then went back to Ben's room. I talked to the nurse and asked if Ben could get walking, he said that the rehab guy had been in earlier that day. So I went back to Ben's room and made him arm wrestle me. Basically I asked him to try to pull my arm down, while I tried to resist. I was suprised how strong his arms were! Then I went down to his feet and had him push against my hands, while I stood firm. Anyway, any amount of of blood circulation in his body is better than nothing, so when you go there, how abou you trying? Get those muscle moving!!!

Later we had dinner with Lueria and Rich. It's always great to spend time with them.

We're heading back Sunday morning, so are RnL. Remember, any way you can get Ben to move his muscles, make him do it. Try not to do anything for him that he can do himself, for instance, make him reach for his own phone, his own water - whatever. Any little bit helps! The doc says he's got to make himself exercise.

Yes Su, though it's not a guy thing, I wrote in the book.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Good job, Peter. It was hard to see Ben laying in bed. He was very groggy when we were there, but it was good to see him. It was good to see Lueria and Rich too. I wish we all lived a little closer together so we could be there when Illa can't be.
Jim

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you were able to spend some time with Ben. I know he feels soo loved right now and that is so important to him.

Glad you found the journal. I think he'll like to read it.
He is so in and out of it now.

Anonymous said...

PnK,

Sorry you couldn't make it to SF; I would have loved to see you and Aunt Karen, it was so hard knowing that you guys were up there in Redding so close but so far. I'm glad that you got time with Uncle Ben, I knew that Lueria would cheer him up with her great sense of humor! I'm not so sure how I feel about you wrestling with him!! I know that laughter and blessing from God are the best things for Uncle Ben and Aunt Illa now. I was so blessed to see him the weekend before, it was hard for me to see Uncle Ben weak and in need of such intense care, but I felt really good about him being at Sisters of Mercy hospital (where I was born) and meeting the nurses that were taking care of him. I spoke to them often and asked them about the tubbing and stuff going on with Uncle Ben and they were very kind and patient with me in explaining everything. I could tell that they were compassionate as well as efficient.

It really made me feel better knowing the Uncle Ben was in such a nice place where the patients were being treated with kindness, compassion and respect. I was also relieved to hear how they listened to Aunt Illa when they were re-compressing his bandages to squeeze out the air that had gotten into his body(ugh), they stopped and listened to Aunt Illa and got the counsel from the doctor on what needed to be done. They could have made Uncle Ben worse by further stressing his organs. Aunt Illa saved the day!! XOXO! Teisha

Peter said...

Yeah, I know wrestling sounds kinda rough, but your a girl and you wouldn't understand such things. It's really important that Ben moves and gets some kind of exercise. And your right, any kind of movement causes pain, but the doc said, "he needs to get stronger". Unfortunately that means pain. BTW, think about it, any kind of growth, or healing, spiritual or otherwise, involves pain. That's why the docs get you up asap after an operation. Spiritual healing is the same, if your not suffering, it's likely your not growing in your faith. Has God asked you to end some relationships - suffering. Has he asked you to give up some habits- suffering. The best way to die, spiritually or physically, is to sit on your hiny and no move.

I wish we could have come to see you also; unfortunately our capacity to do things on a trip is really limited; ah, the energy of youth!!!!