Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thurs. 8-28

Ben had a better day than yesterday. He was not awake as long but when he slept it was better sleep. He did get up to walk today but was so weak and had trouble getting his thoughts into action. You could see that he knew what he wanted to do but could not get his body to respond and had to think on how to get it to. He wasn't as hot today either. He is more yellow tho. I asked the Dr. today about it and what the nuclear test was for that was done a few days ago. The Dr. was looking at the gall bladder and the liver. The gall bladder has stones in it. One or the other is not functioning right causing the liver to not process the bilirubin in the blood and filter it out.

Ben is really skin and bones now. He did manage to walk about 80 feet the PT said but I thought it was shorter and it was really a task for Ben to put one foot in front of the other. He had to be steadied so as not to fall. He sat up for 2 hours and slept the majority of the time. I gave him his bath while he was in the chair and put his hair in a pony tail with a pink band. I left other colors there too but he wanted pink. Takes a MAN to wear pink he says.

I learned today that the Dr.s have been giving him Zoloft for depression. I would say he has a lot to be depressed about.

I just spoke to Leuria this evening and she is coming down on Sat. after work. It will take here 8-10 hours to get here. Told her where the key to the room would be and for her to get it so she can rest after getting in. Jim and Sandi will be here Friday evening. Don't know yet if Peter and Karen will make it but the room will be availabe for you too.

I thank you all for coming to visit and especially Bonnie if she is able to make it here. That would be a great surprise for Ben. Thank you all for your support as I don't know how I would make it everyday without knowing that you are there. I truly in my heart don't believe that Ben will make it out of the hospital. I try to keep positive thoughts but deep down I am sure that this is the time that we knew was coming. I really hoped and prayed that his last days would not be this way but who knows. Maybe God in his wisdom has a reason. It may never be clear to us but there again maybe this was what was needed for this family to pull together as one. We may never know. But I am very thankful for this family. Every one of you. We love each and every one. Good night everyone.

Ben and Illa

3 comments:

Peter said...

Yep, the "plan" is to be there sometime Saturday, perhaps around noon; since Karen will be with me I wont be pushing it much.

As for the room, thanks for the offer, but it sounds like there are others who can use it.

Just one thing more, Illa, you are remarkable and truly a great lady. I know I speak for everyone about our admiration for you.

A few years ago, our great niece came down with a really rare cancer, she was only about six years old. She was in a lot of discomfort, and of course everyone felt for her and anguished over what she was going through. One morning she woke and told her mom, that, "she saw Jesus", and he told her, "everything is going to be ok, and she would be fine". She lived for several more months, then died. So, was her dream wrong? I say no, what she heard from Jesus, was more accurate than any of us 'alive' can ever know. Her pain is gone, she has a continual smile, and she now knows nothing but pure joy! Now, isn't that fine?????

Jim said...

Illa, thanks for all the updates. I know we all appreciate how much you've kept us aware of Ben's condition even though it must be very difficult for you. I think that you're right, God in his wisdom does know. I think that it is for us, the living to realize it. Again, thank you.
Love, Jim

Anonymous said...

My dearest Illa, I am so glad to hear you reaffirm that God knows what is best and we don't, but that is OK because we can trust Him with everything. Illa, your strength, loyalty and confidence in doing all you can for Ben is such a comfort. The Lord knew Ben needed a "little rebel" at heart. We love you, Illa