Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Update Ben Tue. nite

Ben had a good night last night. They got him up in a chair for 2 hours today. He is still in and out as expected. His plain level has really dropped. He has an infection raging which is also expected. They put in 2 colostomy's and 6 other drain bags, 4 in the abdomen, one to the bladder and one to the lower colon.

The Dr. is still pretty confident that they will be able to reconnect him together. They will not do that for 3 months when they will also take out the tumor in the lower colon. They want to get everything stable before doing another big intrusive surgery.

They are hoping to move him out to the floor from ICU tommorrow, depends on how he responds tonight and tomorrow. As he is tonight I would not be surprised to see him there still another day. He is pretty out of it, not really from pain but from the surgery itself. He has a fever tonight but his vitals are stable. He is having a little trouble breathing but his oxygen level remains good. So we are still at the wait and see stage.

Lueria call about 5:30 to see how he was. We got to talk for a little. I think I kept falling asleep on her. I apologize. Just about had to pry me off the floor. I fell asleep and wanted to wake up in time to go to dinner but missed it. I got there just a minute or two after they closed the gate and no change for the machines. I could feel my blood sugar drop and was hoping I could make it to the car to sit down before the bp followed. Made it to a chair and sat for about 15 min. then was able to go to a restaurant and eat. This heat doesn't help a bit.

Well, I am going to go back to sleep. I think I am too wore out. Even too tired to crawl into the shower. I'll procrastinate and do it in the morning. You all have a good night. Ben is in good hands and he has some really good nurses. Ben and Illa

7 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks again Illa. Sounds as if he is doing as well as can be expected considering how bad he was.

Sandi Hooper said...

I know it's too early to get very excited, but, What great news about Ben! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my heart. NOW please take care of yourself too, Illa. If you get sick, you're going to get banned from seeing him...

love and hugs.

Jim said...

Illa,
This is one of those cases when on suffers, we all suffer. Thank you for the updates. From where he was, it sounds like he's making progress. But, like Sandi says, you must take care of yourself too. Sleeping enough and eating are
just as important for you. You don't have nurses looking out for you.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Please tke care of yourself Illa. I am so glad you are able to let us know how things are going. I paln on coming to Redding
(right,Redding Hospital?)Sat.
My prayers are with you guys ..

Anonymous said...

Illa, thanks so much for the good news. I agree with Sandi, your words were like a great weight lifted. Teisha and I finally got together on our schedule for this weekend and it looks like we can't make it until Sunday, staying Sunday night with you. Leaving very early Sunday AM Let me know if that is ok with you. We are so anxious to see you and Ben, but I am as equally worried about you. Take care - you are such a warrior and much appreciated. We love you. Gi

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Illa, thanks so much for the update, please take care of yourself. We are concerned about your health too. I know Lili said she is on her way down to see if she can be of help. We are trying to get a ld going that way but they can't promise us anything. We are OK City right now and will pu here and take a ld to LA and back to GA. We'll have to see if they can work a trip up there on our next ld, but hopefully Ben will be home by then. I call both you and the hospital but couldn't reach anyone. We love you guys, our prayers are with you constantly.