Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wed. 8-27

Ben had a hard day today. Started out awake and doing ok. PT got him up for a walk and stuff starting drainig out and making a mess. So he was put back to bed and the wound care nurse came to fix it. They changed a bunch of stuff, opened im up and moved stuff, pokedpulled. and prodded and hurt him pretty good. You could tell when he kept jumping when the touched certain areas. Even the pain meds didn't help.

I was right and there are at least two fistula's or holes in him intestines that are leaking into the abdomen. It is a mess. I kind of had an argument with the wound care nurse and is assistant about what to do. They wanted to do something to squash the intestine flat to help it to heal and stop Ben from having his ice chips and popsicles for 2 days and hope that it would help stop the stuff from going into the abdomen and go into the drains. I kept telling them the first colostomy was from the stomach and anything he ate went into it. And that I thought if they clamped down on the intestine to seal the holes then wouldn't that make the pressure build up and possibly create more holes in the weak spots instead of helping to heal them. They were asking what we wanted them to do or to do surgery to fix it. So I told them, talk to the surgeon to see what he thought. Turns out I was right about the first colostomy, and that putting pressure on the intestine would cause stuff to leak out into the abdomen. The drains they wanted to pull were in the abdomen that was sucking out the guck. So anyway a compromise was made and Ben didn't loose his ice chips and popcicles. Like I told them, the inside wasn't really my field of expertise but it was my understanding that the dr. was wanting all that stuff to come out to stop the gangrene and peritinitous.

Anyway, as Ben's incision was coming open and not healing they got the big stoma and the incision into one big suction thingy and it is looking better. Hard on Ben but looking better. He never did get up today and slept most of the day. He is very hot today also. You can tell there is a raging infection at all the openings. He was just totally wore out. Hope it will be better tomorrow after a good nights rest.


We got to talk to Glenda today for a few minutes. Glenda just times it right as Ben had just woke up. One of his "in" moments. He was cheered up for a few minutes then out again.

So that is pretty much it for today. I am going to bed. Hope everyone has a good night. Love to all.

Illa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our dearest Illa, thanks for contending with all this. Your analysis of the situation sure helps me understand what you guys are going through. Wish I could be there with you. Love you, Gi

Sandi Hooper said...

Wow, what a lot for you to endure, Illa and Ben both. My heart goes out to you and I hope that you had a better day today. This infection stuff is tough to beat. I'm praying that Ben's pain will be lessened.

Illa you're in my heart. As a fellow spouse to the clan, I have nightmares about going what you're going through.

hugs.