Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wed. nite

Ben is a little better tonight. He has been up walking twice for about 100 feet. He still comes and goes but more aware of his surroundings. He still keeps trying to pour water out of his breathing thingy. He still is hot and connected to lots of tubes and wires. He is a little jaundiced still but his liver isn't functions too well yet from the stress. He can't leave ICU until some of the tubes are gone and he as more aware so that means several more days. He can have visitors but for short times. He is in Room 262. There is a phone there but it is away from the bed and most of the people are pretty sick and can't answer it.

There is some talk that he might have to go to a rehab facility as he has so much medical stuff going on that has to be watched. But right now that is just talk. Have to get him thru this patch and get the majority of drains, tubes, and hoses out. They are still saying 10+ days before taking out the tubes and drains. He is so weak and now getting fluid in his lungs that they really want to watch him. He is getting fiesty when a wake. He shook his fist at the male nurse that had to re-insert his NG tube as he gave him a bloody nose. Ben's nose has been broken so flat that they have trouble putting in those tubes but they really needed a big one. The guy really tried to be as gentle as possible but I know it had to hurt. But the end result was worth it as they got a lot of that toxic stuff out of his stomach that they couldn't get before. Which really did help Ben out. I don't think Ben would have hit him but he told the nurse that he thought it was only fair that he give him one.

So I think that I will go home Friday afternoon. I have to check on the animals to make sure they are being taken care of and I really need to work now while he is there as I will probably miss some days when he gets out. Staying in the Hospitality house is at least cheaper than a hotel but it still takes money. At least I am able to get fed at the hospital. I get up to 2 meals a day so that really helps. So I will call my boss and let her know tomorrow that I will cover my shifts on Sat., Sun, and Mon. I will be back down Mon. nite. I hate driving back and forth but it has to be done. Also while I am there I have to get someone else to take care of the animals as the people who are taking care of them now will be leaving on Tue. and will be out of state for a month.

Sorry that I will miss some of you that come later but I really hope you understand. Ben will appreaciate the company tho. Ben knows that several of you are coming so he is prepared to see you. I tell him who all has called and left messages and that you all send your love. He really appreaciates it. He says to tell you all that he loves you too.

Glenda, I did see until now that you would make it sunday. I don't know when Lili and Jess are coming but the phone call said that they were headed out the door. What I can do is pay for the room so that you all can stay there. It is $20 dollars a night but if someone is staying in it then it is worth it. I have to turn off the phone in ICU and forget to turn it back on when I leave for a cigarette. The only time it is really turned on during the day is between 6-8 pm and during the night until I go to the hosp. about 9 am. I get kicked out during shift change but I understand. So let me know if you want me to do that then there is a place for you to stay. Illa

Ben and Illa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get everyones calls. Just wish I could call everyone back. We thank you for your well wishes and prayers. Bonnie and Dick I am always afraid that I am going to wake you up and I know how it is when you are driving. You get your sleep when you can. So I figure this way everyone will get the scoop when you are able. Illa

Sandi Hooper said...

Thank you so much for the updates Illa, it really helps. Hope that you can find a little escape in putting some hours in at work. I know it helped me when I've been in times of stress. I continue to hold you, Ben and the kids in my heart.