Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ben Update

Well Ben had another major setback today. He waited until I got there to have breakfast again. He had jello and it did not stay where it was supposed to. Within half an hour he ruptured again and it came out the incision. It still was of the same concistancy as when he ate it. So that means the hole is up somewhere close to the base of the stomach above the bag that the food is supposed to go in. Now the Dr. believes me when I tell him where I think something is. It isn't as if I have any real knowledge of the insides, it is just common sense and figuring things out. Like Duh!!!! So now Ben has lost his liquid diet, juice, and Ice chips. The Dr. wants to let the bowel rest again and see if it will heal with 48 hours. He didn't say what he would do if it didn't. Now the possible release date has been pushed back to 9-20. He is heavily medicated again to keep him from moving around. So that means no PT at all. The only good thing is that he did get rid of his Foley so he can pee on his own but that may change again depending on circumstances.

We are still hanging in there. Give our Love to Chuck and hope that he gets better. Smack him in the arm as he told me that he would take his medicine like he was supposed to. Or even kick him in the shins. That hurts more and might make him remember better.

Love to all and hope all have a good night. Ben and Illa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Illa, I wish I could be there to help you thru this time. Thanks for the very important updates...take care of yourself. Love Gi

Anonymous said...

Tell dad I love him. I guess it's good that we don't usually have jello salad on the table at Thanksgiving, huh? That sort of thing would put me off jello for a while.

Peter said...

Illa, I'm not surprised at all that you figured out the incision problem; you're there so much and the Doc has a million stops. It's kinda like a coach, maybe he can't play ball as good as his players, but he has a much overall better view of what's happening. Keep up the good work. And BTW, way to give it to Chuck! Men are such knuckleheads. This is why you'll never see the male version of Amazons. Peter

Anonymous said...

Dear Illa, I send you my love and know that we are there for you. It's been quite a summer, I guess it's a family thang, we need to be close, so all member's can be in the same hospital, laugh, that way it'd be easier to connect, with each and they seem to wish to share the hard times. Love aunty Lili

Sandi Hooper said...

Dang, Illa, I'm hating that this is going on for you guys! I hope that the doctor will spend a little time thinking about what you've said, and maybe you should tell him/them how to fix the situation too.

I've told you so many times that I've got you in my heart, and in my prayers--I think that I can only keep saying it. I send you my love.

I hope that you know I think of you constantly, hold my breath for your situation and wait to see that all will be well for you all.

hugs.