Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Piping up from somewhere in the mountains

So, yesterday, Athena did something that she's been wanting to do for a very long time, even though the first meeting was brought to my attention by surprise.

Athena is now a proud Brownie Scout within the ranks of the Girl Scouts of America. she's very excited, the den mother seems to be quite capable, Athena knows her well, and she has a few of her old friends in the same troop.

Some of the more experienced girls didn't seem to know what to think about a bleary, obviously dealing with a cold mother that is rarely seen, dragging herself out to take her daughter to the meeting. Then again, these were the same girls that I usually have to turn away when they are doing their fundraising because of not having the funds at the time to be able to count on buying the candy sold.

Athena is very excited, and we will be ordering her uniform and badge study books after school today.

Athena fell asleep on the couch doing her homework yesterday, the den mother made sure to stress that good girl scouts do their homework according to Athena. I've been saying similar for a while... anyway... she didn't finish it last night, I knew she was tired and let her sleep, planning to wake her up early.

She woke up a bit after midnight wanting to finish. I told her to go back to sleep and that I'd get her up in the morning and she could finish then. She went back to her room easily and was very quickly asleep. Both kids actually finished out the night in their room. On waking, she did her work quickly (and correctly *insert happy pump here*), helped feed the cats, and offered to grind my coffee beans while I got Merlin's stuff together.

Athena's words:
"A good girl scout helps out her mom."

So we talked a bit about good deeds and how happy I was to see her trying to live up to the code. It was wonderful to have something nice to say to her instead of having to tell her to stop doing something she shouldn't. She even thinks that she can continue this.

I know I'm going to have to help her, but this is a start. Also, I'm rather glad to see that she is apparently so taken after only one meeting. When I was young, I went to one meeting and that was it. So I'm very glad to see that this troop actually does something interesting.

I'm also glad she didn't decide on 4-H. Where would I put an animal if livestock was her project? I don't even remember if that's all 4-H does. I think it was for the chapter where I grew up...

And Merlin's day today started well too. He woke up easy, getting the clothes on him was simple today (as opposed to chasing a child sized lump of jello) and even stayed on. We watched an episode of Ben-10 (this cartoon is about a young boy that changes into different aliens with the help of a DNA-based watched called an omnitrix, and actually has quite a few nifty science facts sprinkled through... though it's mostly action oriented... just so that the older readers know what I'm talking about) and then played a little bit of the Ben-10 video game (co-op mode) together before his bus arrived.

He would have gone out to the bus easily if I hadn't made him wear his jacket (cold in the mornings here in the mountains, though it gets so hot during the day). I realize that I am going to have to start wearing my back brace again (only during the mornings) to protect my back muscles in the event that he pushes back against me when getting into the bus. He's much stronger than the average 5 year old, don't let anyone tell you differently. His regular doctor would tell you the very same thing.

He's also a bit larger than the average 5 year old. Anyone even thinking of sending clothes for Christmas... size 8 husky or size 9, quite seriously. He's growing again, and if pants are too long, needle and thread can always be a temporary fix till he stretches out. And he is going to. I find it a bit amusing that he's built like my brother (husky) and Athena's built like me (beanpole).

Spoke to mom and dad today, dad still sounds tired, and isn't feeling all that great. Mom says he's got himself a bit of an infection in the incision. Little Athena got to talk to her grandpa though, which made her happy even though she can't go see him yet, trying to keep germs away from him. She enjoyed getting to tell Grandpa that she is now in the Scouts.

Man, is she ever looking forward to the yearly Jamboree... I've no details on this, other than it's not for a looong while.

Dad sounded pretty happy after hearing Athena's big news. When we are ble to go down and see him, I can finally take him his Father's Day gift (had to get it in a frame). It's not framed traditionally for a water color done in the Chinese style, but the frame goes well with it and I didn't do it on rice paper anyway...

Well, it's getting late here, time to start bedding down.

Love,
Teresa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father was happy to talk to Athena. He would love to be able to see her and Merlin but is so afraid of catching something that the kids are spreading around school. I can understand that. He love the kids but they might be just a little too rambuncious yet. He thought it was cool that Athena joined the scouts. We had a discussion about Pathfinders after that. Will order some nuts. Maybe even some cookies depending on the kinds and the candy. I love See's Candy but ususaly only get it when it is sold at the school once in a while.
Let me know when they start selling their stuff to get to go to the jamboree. At least I think that is what the fund raising is for.

love to you all.

MOM Illa

Peter said...

So sweet about Athena and learning to be helpful. Sounds like good teaching, good environment and good peers, and fun! I hope she is able to continue.

Anonymous said...

Pre-orders for the fall fundraiser or September 25 thru October 19, deliveries November 6-12. When I get the info on what's being sold and prices I'll let you know. During the winter and spring they sell the cookies (I'm hoping they have mint this year). They use the funds generated for the troop's badges, supplies, field trips (including that jamboree "oh Mom, it sounds like so much fun"), and stuff they use during the meetings.

I'm glad that I was able to get her in this year. Last night she went over her printouts of the Girl Scout Law and the Girl Scout Pledge once before homework (apparently to get excited) and several times afterward. It's great to see her wanting to read, especially with how stubborn she can be if something just isn't interesting. She was actually singing her sums while doing her math last night.

Also, she has another story that she wants to work on, so we'll be doing a little of that every day after her schoolwork and then working on illustrations. Once it's done, she wants to talk to the friend of mine that is doing the cover for my novel, to see if she would be interested in doing the cover for her story (it will be about a dragon princess who is under a spell and has to learn how to break it, she's not sure on all her details yet, but she's got something good cooking).

Anonymous said...

Teresa, it is so good to hear how your days go. I admire your energy, your mothering skills. Keep up the good work, try to take care of yourself. Love, Glenda

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to see you on the blog... I love to see the kids, and here how great they are doing. Give them my love, also I went to pathfinder's, and will bring them next time, to show the kid's. It was so fun, and wish that Lueria's kid's would have gone. She is so busy with them and with life. I love you, aunty lili

Jim said...

It's always good to hear kids get excited about learning something, especially, if we, as parents have been saying the same thing, but now they take an interest in it even though someone else said it. I say, "whatever it takes."

Keep it up, Teresa,

Jim