Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ben Wed. Nite 9-3

Ben had a pretty good day today. He was more alert. Lot of pain and kept forgetting to push his button. He did not get up to a chair again to day. Every time PT tried he gushed out of his drains. He at least sat of the edge of the bed for a bit. He was put on clear liquids late last night and full liquids today. He is drinking juice and having popcicles and tonight he had soup, ice cream, chocolate shake and cranberry juice. He only had a little of the ice cream and couldn't eat anything else. Even when I tried to feed him. At least it is a change in pace for him. I left early tonight to get some sleep.

I fell asleep there in the room in a very uncomfortable chair and woke up with my knees locked and couldn't stand up and when did hobbled around. So figured that I would go to bed early, and let us both get some rest.

I can tell he is a little better as he was cranky and grumpy today. He isn't so medicated which might have actually been better for him. He is fussing and figiting in the bed, moving around a lot trying to get comfortable and pulling on tubes again trying to figure where they go and what they do. I am afraid that he might pull out one that is necessary. At least he also won't get bed sores by rolling around.

So good night everyone and thank you kids again for coming down. I know that Father was glad to see you two. He asked this morning if you all got back safe last night. So he does remember some things. He did wake up once thinking we were in Klamath Falls for some reason.


Love to all. Ben and Illa

5 comments:

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

glad to hear about uncle ben.

And i was amazed when I was there what he recalled. The whole time I was there he never said my name. We talked and laughed. Uncle ben laughed a lot.

But Sunday he called Riches name and asked him for a wash cloth with soap on it. lol. Now Rich says he is uncle Ben's favorite. lol. Men!!

from Lueria

Peter said...

Good update and good news. Ice cream, chocolate shake, juice! What determines if he can have it? Ben wanted juice when I was there and the doc wouldn't let him have it.

Jim said...

Cranky and grumpy, drinking juice, popsicles,soup, ice cream, chocolate shakes, and cranberry juice! I'll take that as a good sign.

I'm glad that you left early to get some rest. If your health isn't there for him, it hurts both of you guys.

Thank you for all that you're doing,
Jim

Anonymous said...

I am not sure but I think the fact that his illiostomy is working better than the other day. That is the bag right below the stomach. Hopefully he eats more today. I think all the choices threw him off. He is still draining from the abdomen and in chunks that plug the tube but not so much drainage. Have to give it a few more days to see what it is going to do to the main incision. He had a really good nurse yesterday too. It seems that some care more than others. I know from experience that this is a hard job and some people just can't do it even tho they are in the field, they are just there to collect a check and never mind what happens to the patient. But I guess you have that attitude in any job field.

Well, I am off to spend the day. See how it goes. Talk to you all later.

Love Illa